Electronegativity and Electron Affinity.  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Tycho_Meimban_2B

Electronegativity and Electron Affinity.

Postby Tycho_Meimban_2B » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:09 pm

What is the difference between electronegativity and electron affinity? I know that they both relate to attracting electrons, but is there a clear-cut difference between the two?

Prat3010

Re: Electronegativity and Electron Affinity.  [ENDORSED]

Postby Prat3010 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:43 pm

Electron Affinity is the energy change when a neutral atom attracts an electron to become a negative ion.
Whereas, electronegativity is the ability of an atom to draw bonding electrons too itself.
They aren't too different. It is just that electron affinity is a fixed value of a specific atom while electronegativity is associated with molecules rather than a single atom.
Also, electron affinity values stay the same whereas electronegativity values can vary slightly with changing chemical environment.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Electronegativity and Electron Affinity.

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Prat3010 wrote:Electron Affinity is the energy change when a neutral atom attracts an electron to become a negative ion.
Whereas, electronegativity is the ability of an atom to draw bonding electrons too itself.
They aren't too different. It is just that electron affinity is a fixed value of a specific atom while electronegativity is associated with molecules rather than a single atom.
Also, electron affinity values stay the same whereas electronegativity values can vary slightly with changing chemical environment.

This is answer is 99% correct... I might append that electronegativity is also defined for single atoms, it's just that in practice we normally only apply it to the qualitative prediction of electron densities in molecules

Minu Reddy

Re: Electronegativity and Electron Affinity.

Postby Minu Reddy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Could anyone please remind me what the periodic trend is for electronegativity?

I was also wondering what the difference between electronegativity and ionization energy is?

Thank you so much

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”