Resonance Structures-More Stable

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Caitlin Dillon 3G

Resonance Structures-More Stable

Postby Caitlin Dillon 3G » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi everyone! I understand resonance structures (resonance is a blending of structures with same arrangements of atoms but different arrangements of electrons). However, I am a little confused as to how being able to draw multiple resonance structures for a certain molecule proves that that molecule is more stable than expected. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Alyssa_Hsu_2K

Re: Resonance Structures-More Stable

Postby Alyssa_Hsu_2K » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:54 am

I believe the book said the specific reason for that involves quantum mechanics.

Another note, I don't think being able to draw resonance structures "proves" that the molecule is more stable than expected. It's just that the combined structure is more stable than any single one of the resonance structure.

Samuel_Vydro_1I

Re: Resonance Structures-More Stable

Postby Samuel_Vydro_1I » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:17 pm

It's not the ability to draw the structures-- that's just a formality because we are operating in a 2-D sense. In reality the resonance means that each bond among the plausible options is the same length (as in the double bond is distributed throughout the options making the total molecule more stable than having for instance one double and two single bonds)

Return to “Resonance Structures”