VSPER Model  [ENDORSED]

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Van Belle 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

VSPER Model

Postby Ashley Van Belle 2B » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Is the VSPER Model the same thing as the VSPER Formula? Or does one get the other?

Marie_Bae_3M

Re: VSPER Model

Postby Marie_Bae_3M » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Yes, I believe they mean the same thing :)

Makenna Vulgas 1G

Re: VSPER Model  [ENDORSED]

Postby Makenna Vulgas 1G » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi! I believe that the VSEPR model and the VSEPR formula are essentially the same thing but just present information in different ways. The VSEPR model is the lewis structure showing the regions of electron density including bonded and lone regions. From the model one can determine the shape along with more basic characteristics such as the central atom and the bonded atoms. Now the VSEPR formula takes all of the physical information such as central atom (A), bonded atom(X), and lone pairs (E) and puts them into a more concise formula format. For example, CH4 has a VSEPR formula of AX4 which means it has a tetrahedral shape. But someone could have found out the shape by drawing the structure of the molecule. In terms of one getting the other it is possible to use the VSEPR model to "get" the formula but it is merely a transferring of information into a different format and not one deriving the other explicitly. I hope that helped!

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”