Memorization Tips

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew Uesugi 3I

Memorization Tips

Postby Andrew Uesugi 3I » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:20 am

Hello there.

Is there anybody out there that knows any tips or tricks to memorize the VESPER models? Because they all seem rather tricky to memorize.

Thanks.

Andrew U.

Christine_Mavilian_3E

Re: Memorization Tips

Postby Christine_Mavilian_3E » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:03 am

Based off of my study method, I would say that the one of the best ways to learn the VSEPR models is to learn the symbols (for instance AX4E, AX4E2) and the shapes they correspond with. By learning these symbols you can figure out what the compound would look because, for example, the AX4 part would indicate that there are four bonding pairs, and the E would indicate that there is one lone pair. Thus you would be able to determine that these five pairs are located in Trigonal Bipyramidal Geometry and that the shape of the four bonding atoms would form a Seesaw. Also, making a list of these different shapes and their corresponding angles/ symbols on a piece of paper or flashcards to memorize will reduce the confusion of trying to remember which shape corresponds with which symbol/ bond angle.

I hope this helps!

Kiana_Shibata_2G

Postby Kiana_Shibata_2G » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:08 pm

I would say flashcards are one of the best ways to memorize the models. That is how I did it. Whenever you have some free time you can just run through the flashcards. For the models, I feel like a lot of it is being able to visualize the shape, so if you have a picture of the model in your mind and you remember the name of it by using flashcards, you should be set for the midterm.

Amy_Bugwadia_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Amy_Bugwadia_3I » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:28 pm

I've been making flashcards to memorize these. As the previous poster mentioned, it really helps to visualize the shape that corresponds to each term, because otherwise it's really easy to get the terms confused since they're all pretty similar. It also really helps to go through each term and try to draw it out by yourself on a whiteboard or scratch paper and then check at the end. Hope that helps!

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”