Random Enrollment Checks

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Natalie_Hardiman_3C

Random Enrollment Checks

Postby Natalie_Hardiman_3C » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:54 pm

I just read the email that explained that there would be random enrollment checks in lectures due to students attending class who are not enrolled. I was wondering what these checks would entail. Do these checks give credit to attendance or simply make sure students who are not enrolled cannot attend? I'm asking because I have a volunteer position that sometimes conflicts with my lecture, so I was planning on watching the bruincast lectures instead of attending when I had a conflict, so I still can volunteer.

vsyacoubian2A

Re: Random Enrollment Checks

Postby vsyacoubian2A » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 am

I believe they are to make sure people who don't have the lecture for that time (or none at all) come into the halls and take up seats. The scene at the lecture hall on Monday was packed, with people outside of the enrolled lecture coming in.

You should probably have a copy of your study list if you are planning to physically attend lecture as proof of enrollment. Don't believe you should be penalized if you are not there.

Rachel Wile 2D

Postby Rachel Wile 2D » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am

Yes, I also believe the enrollment checks are just to ensure that there are not people from other lectures attending a different lecture and taking up seats. I do not think you could be penalized for not coming to class because the class does not give points for attendance, as it is more of an expectation in order to do well on the quizzes and tests.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 am

I certainly encourage all students to attend all Chem 14B lectures and discussion sections, as well as peer learning sessions and office hours.

However, I also create and maintain a huge number of resources for my students to accommodate and support them with unexpected events (sick, family events, sport commitments, extra-curricular events, etc.).

This is why I also organize my lecture notes in the course reader and ask UCLA to podcast and webcast my lectures.

The random enrollment checks are needed so that students are aware that seating is limited to those enrolled.

There is no credit for attendance, or penalty for not attending.

Hope this helps clarify.

Kimberly_Hernandez_3L

Postby Kimberly_Hernandez_3L » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Hello, I am still unclear as to what is considered "proof of enrollment". Would i need a physical copy of my study list or would it be enough to have it on my phone?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Kimberly_Hernandez_3L wrote:Hello, I am still unclear as to what is considered "proof of enrollment". Would i need a physical copy of my study list or would it be enough to have it on my phone?

Both/either are proof of enrollment.

usernamesarehard

Postby usernamesarehard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Is it likely that within the quarter seats will be available so students aren't sitting on the floor? I feel bad for people with another class right before Chem begins and have to sit on the steps.

Ashley Curtis 2O

Postby Ashley Curtis 2O » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 pm

How would these random enrollment checks be conducted? Would they take up lecture time?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:31 pm

usernamesarehard wrote:Is it likely that within the quarter seats will be available so students aren't sitting on the floor? I feel bad for people with another class right before Chem begins and have to sit on the steps.

The department is unlikely to organize enrollment checks for Lecture 3 as there are available seats - all students are welcome to attend lecture 3.

Lecture 2 is okay.

Lecture 1 is the problem. Students can attend lecture 3 if they prefer.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Ashley Curtis 2O wrote:How would these random enrollment checks be conducted? Would they take up lecture time?

They will be conducted outside CS50 before class starts.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”