Most Helpful Resource

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Korosh Bahrami

Most Helpful Resource

Postby Korosh Bahrami » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Since I did not take Lavelle for CHEM14A, I was wondering which academic resource he provides is the most beneficial and helpful? Is it Lavelle's office hours, TA office hours, UA office hours, etc.?

EmmaSaid3C

Re: Most Helpful Resource

Postby EmmaSaid3C » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Each resource has a different format, so it really depends on which setting you prefer. However, each resource offers the chance to ask questions, so they are all beneficial in that regard. UA office hours are more of a group work setting while TA office hours are more similar to discussion sections.

Mikaela Gareeb 3G

Postby Mikaela Gareeb 3G » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 pm

I found the UA hours especially helpful because there are so many of them, but also because there are fewer people there so you can ask more questions. Also, since the UAs are usually third- or forth-years they can give you practice problems from earlier versions of the course reader.

Angela_Kim_1N

Postby Angela_Kim_1N » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:48 pm

I personally really liked the UA office hours because they are students that have taken this class before. So they tend to know what topics we would struggle in and they explain it in a way that is easy to understand. Also, UA sessions are done in small groups so it was easy to get my questions answered. I also found posting questions on Chemistry Community really helpful as well.

Martha Xuncax 3G

Postby Martha Xuncax 3G » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:08 pm

If you can you should also join AAP. They meet twice a week for an hour and a half, and the peer facilitators have taken the class so they know what's to be expected. Plus, they go along with Lavelle's lessons, so it's really helpful!

christy_zambrano_2E

Postby christy_zambrano_2E » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:40 pm

I believe AAP helps a lot! I had it last quarter and felt it was a life savior, especially because I felt required to go. The program takes attendance and there in small groups. However, I think the best action to do is try out all at least once and see which system works best for you.

Amy_Bugwadia_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Amy_Bugwadia_3I » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Attending the UA office hours was definitely beneficial to me last quarter, especially before the quizzes. My TA's office hours were also very useful, because he was able to provide me with often one-on-one help in solving certain homework problems step-by-step or anything else related to the course.

Mizuno_Mikaela_1D

Postby Mizuno_Mikaela_1D » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:05 pm

All of the office hours are extremely helpful! I would suggest going to as many as possible and also try to figure out which of the UA/TA's teaching styles are a good fit for you because they all hold their sessions a bit differently!

Yuchien Ma 2L

Postby Yuchien Ma 2L » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:36 pm

I personally found the chemistry community to be the most helpful out of all the resources available, because it is available 24/7 and you can post whenever and wherever.
Whenever you have a question, you can always post it online, and then multiple people will answer your question through different approaches and methods.

Flamingos 3L

Postby Flamingos 3L » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:21 pm

In my opinion the TA office hours and UA have been a blessing. They're all know what they're doing so asking them to explain most of the problems helps greatly, especially on HW since there are some really confusing ones out there.

Rika Jitosho 2E

Postby Rika Jitosho 2E » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Something that I don't believe has been mentioned yet are the practice exams that Dr. Lavelle provides for us. They are a fantastic resource in terms of being able to test whether or not you can apply the concepts you've studied. In Chem 14A, I found that sometimes reading and studying a concept can be quite different from the actual application of the material, and completing problems as practice proved very useful.

DBaquero

Postby DBaquero » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. The practice exams and quizzes in the course reader were probably the most helpful resource for me, especially because they had some more difficult, or at least different, questions than the textbook. Of course, like everyone else is saying attending UA (or TA) office hours are great ways to become more familiar with the course material.

Tiffany_Luu_1F

Postby Tiffany_Luu_1F » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 pm

I too did not have 14A with Lavelle and was wondering how useful you all think it is to read from the book? I am trying that right now and am not retaining that much information.

Grace 3G

Postby Grace 3G » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Try finding other people to create a study group! I have trouble sometimes concentrating on studying in my room so I have found that especially for harder subjects like chemistry, study groups are great for homework and understanding the material better in preparation for quizzes and exams. Study partners are especially nice because other people might also still be up at 2AM working on assignments.

Mana_Sheykhsoltan_1A

Postby Mana_Sheykhsoltan_1A » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:47 pm

I find it helpful to read the book first. I like to take notes while reading so I have a greater tendency to retain the information. I then go over the course reader notes and do the assigned problems. Afterwards, I do practice problems, such as the quiz problems in the course reader. Hope this helps!

Return to “Phase Changes & Related Calculations”