max amount of work

and

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Camille_2G

max amount of work

Postby Camille_2G » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Can someone please explain how a reversible expansion gives the max amount of work and why work for a reversible process is more negative than work for an irreversible process?

Thanks in advance.

Esther_Choe_1K

Re: max amount of work

Postby Esther_Choe_1K » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:41 pm

If a process does work on the surrounding, you get more work out of the process if it is done slowly. This is because less heat is lost to the surroundings. Therefore, a reversible process, infinitely small does the maximum work. One example of a reversible process is the work done by a gas expanding against a piston.
The reversible expansion does the maximum amount of work because the gas is pushing against the maximum possible external pressure. Since the process remains at equilibrium throughout the reversible expansion, Pext = Pint. When Pext=Pint, the external pressure is at its maximum for work to be done by the system because if it was any higher, the process would reverse and the gas would be compressed.

Hope this helps!

tasmia_amjad_3K

Postby tasmia_amjad_3K » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 pm

(Having trouble posting my own post, so I'm using this one to ask a slightly similar question--sorry for any confusion)

What is the difference between a real system and a perfect system?

Thank You!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 745 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

Hello Tasmaia,

I'm a little confused on what specifically you are referring to. Could you list a page number or problem that you are confused about?

Drake_Everlove_1K

Postby Drake_Everlove_1K » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Perfect systems would theoretically be reversible, meaning the reactions occuring within them would occur extremely slowly and with the maximum amounts of energy and work being done or used up. Real systems don't necessarily work that way.

Return to “Calculating Work of Expansion”