Naming Organic Molecules

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Felipe Rubio1H

Naming Organic Molecules

Postby Felipe Rubio1H » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:20 pm

I am just a little confused about naming parent chains. In the "Introduction to Organic Chemistry" textbook on page 6, there is a molecule called 3-Ethylheptane. I just need to clarify, so a parent chain is just the longest continuous chain you can make with carbons, even if it is branched. I just thought that if it was branched it was a substituent, but in this example, they include the branched chain as their main chain and call it heptane, when i thought it would be called pentane. So, a parent chain is the longest chain of carbons that you can make going from left to right?

Jessica Chern 1H

Re: Naming Organic Molecules

Postby Jessica Chern 1H » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, the longest chain is the parent chain (it can bend around when drawing the structure).

ribal_daniel_3H

Postby ribal_daniel_3H » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Also to add on to the last comment, I believe you can only make one bend in order to get the longest chain.

EmilyLeibovitch2E

Postby EmilyLeibovitch2E » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:58 pm

I thought the parent chain could go either left to right or right to left? Does the direction of the chain matter?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 am

Sometime a molecule is drawn where the longest chain is not drawn from left to right. In this case you need to check that going along a branched group gives you a longer chain.

Aashi_Patel_3B

Postby Aashi_Patel_3B » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:31 am

https://www.stolaf.edu/depts/chemistry/ ... dnames.htm

Honestly this link has SO MANY line structure practice questions- you just keep generating! Also helps with analyzing and gives ALL potential names and why the correct one is correct. So if you're asked for naming from a line structure, this is the link!

Return to “*Alkanes”