Catalysts and Entropy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ntruong2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Catalysts and Entropy

Postby ntruong2H » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 pm

In the book, it says that "Catalysts produce a less negative dS(double dagger) value by bringing the reactants together before the reaction occurs and placing them in the correct orientation."

I am confused as to how this does not make dS even more negative. Since catalysts put the molecules in the correct orientation, doesn't this mean that now there is even more of a decrease in disorder?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Catalysts and Entropy

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 am

ntruong2H wrote:In the book, it says that "Catalysts produce a less negative dS(double dagger) value by bringing the reactants together before the reaction occurs and placing them in the correct orientation."

I am confused as to how this does not make dS even more negative. Since catalysts put the molecules in the correct orientation, doesn't this mean that now there is even more of a decrease in disorder?

It says that the delta S is decreased, which means it makes it more negative.

ntruong2H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby ntruong2H » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 am

Chem_Mod wrote:
ntruong2H wrote:In the book, it says that "Catalysts produce a less negative dS(double dagger) value by bringing the reactants together before the reaction occurs and placing them in the correct orientation."

It says that the delta S is decreased, which means it makes it more negative.

Doesn't a "less negative" value mean a more positive? Which means an increase in entropy?

Katherine_Zhuo_3B

Postby Katherine_Zhuo_3B » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 am

I believe that entropy is less negative because by putting the molecules in the correct order and orientation, there is greater facilitation to the reaction occurring, which leads to more entropy.

Return to “*Free Energy of Activation vs Activation Energy”