When to Use Z and E?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michael_Johanis_2K
Been upvoted: 1 time

When to Use Z and E?

Postby Michael_Johanis_2K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Is there a rule (at least for Chem 14B) that tells me when I need to put Z or E in front of a compound? I know how to determine whether I should use Z or E, but I am not quite sure when I should even have one of these letters in front of my compound's name.

Monica Habashy 3A
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: When to Use Z and E?

Postby Monica Habashy 3A » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:15 pm

You use them when you notice the trends in the way they are ordered in terms of priority.

Katrina_Galian 1J

Postby Katrina_Galian 1J » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:42 pm

We use Z and E when we're working with alkenes that need to be categorized as either cis or trans. Particularly when none of the 4 groups attached to the 2 carbons match. For example, on page 103 of the course reader, Z-1-Bromo-2-Chloropropene is named so due to the fact that none of the groups attached to the carbons match.

EmmaShahabi1L

Postby EmmaShahabi1L » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Additionally, some times the classification of the Z and the E can be interchanged with a cis or a trans. So it's somewhat arbitrary, similar to the use of a common name instead of the IUPAC method.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Please be careful about what Emma said. They SOMETIMES can be interchanged, but they are fundamentally different naming systems. Often times, they will give different answers. Please be sure to learn both E/Z and cis/trans naming rules. They are not the same and should not be regarded as interchangeable.

Return to “*Constitutional and Geometric Isomers (cis, Z and trans, E)”