Writing formulas

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

venning-1J

Writing formulas

Postby venning-1J » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 pm

In problem E9 we have to write a formula. Are we expected to know this for fridays assessment?

E9) Epsom salts consist of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. Write its formula.

Naveed Zaman 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Writing formulas

Postby Naveed Zaman 1C » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 pm

I believe Dr. Lavelle said that all the formula names would be provided for you on the test since we don't explicitly cover it in class, but just in case I'd review the very basic rules for naming (prefixes for ionic and molecular compounds, maybe even a couple of polyatomic ion names). But in any case the whole point of the test is supposed to cover the stuff that's been on the modules and in class, and since we haven't really focused on naming I don't anticipate something like that showing up on the test.

Aya Shokair- Dis 2H

Postby Aya Shokair- Dis 2H » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Yes, I second the statement above. Doctor Lavelle said he'll give you the chemical formulas for all the questions on the test on Friday.

Angel R Morales Dis1G

Postby Angel R Morales Dis1G » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Both statements above are correct; however, my T.A did state that after this Friday's test, we will have to memorize the names and formulas of the compounds. They will not be written down for us anymore.

Sonja Kobayashi 1H

Postby Sonja Kobayashi 1H » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Hello! I believe that we will not be expected to know how to write these formulas! I think Dr. Lavelle will lecture on writing chemical formulas in the future!

Return to “Molarity, Solutions, Dilutions”