Amplitude

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mishta Stanislaus 1H

Amplitude

Postby Mishta Stanislaus 1H » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:44 pm

I understand that wave length and frequency have and inverse relationship due to the given equation, but does amplitude relate to these in any way?

Naveed Zaman 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Amplitude

Postby Naveed Zaman 1C » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 pm

I believe there might be a formula that has to do with amplitude versus intensity, but I think it has to do with when we consider electromagnetic radiation as a wave, not photons. I think therefore it's something we don't have to know how to do for class purposes (I think it also has to do with only black body radiation, which is more of a physics concept than a chemistry concept). The amplitude doesn't necessarily have to change with an increase/decrease in wavelength or frequency so I don't think it's discussed much. Hope this helps!

Salman Azfar 1K

Postby Salman Azfar 1K » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 am

It's essentially what the reply before me said. Amplitude has its purposes but I've looked through the entire reading and I haven't seen any mention of it in equations unless I missed something. At the very least, it doesn't impact our current calculations with wavelength and frequency with respect to the speed of light, so it's something that may come in later but is not very significant as of now.

Jason Muljadi 2C

Postby Jason Muljadi 2C » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 am

Amplitude is related to the energy of the wave. If the wave has a low energy, then there will be a short amplitude. If the energy of a wave is high, then there will be a long amplitude.
Attachments
Amplitude.png
Amplitude.png (5.09 KiB) Viewed 918 times

Courtney Cheney 3E

Postby Courtney Cheney 3E » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:17 pm

If your told one wave of light has higher energy than another do you assume that the amplitude is higher, the frequency is higher, both, or can it not be determined?

Gurvardaan Bal1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Gurvardaan Bal1L » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Courtney Cheney 3E wrote:If your told one wave of light has higher energy than another do you assume that the amplitude is higher, the frequency is higher, both, or can it not be determined?

If you are told this, you can assume that the amplitude is larger, but you cannot assume that the frequency is also higher. Frequency and amplitude are not related to each other, at least generally. In certain cases you might find a relationship, but based on what I found, there doesn't seem to be a general correlation between amplitude and frequency.

Troy Tavangar 1I

Postby Troy Tavangar 1I » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Amplitude has no relation ship with the frequency or wavelength

Return to “Properties of Light”