Nuclear Model of the Atom

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Paula Dowdell 1F

Nuclear Model of the Atom

Postby Paula Dowdell 1F » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Could somebody explain to me the difference in Thomson and Rutherford's models of the atom?

ssthirkannad

Re: Nuclear Model of the Atom

Postby ssthirkannad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Thomson thought that atoms are uniform spheres of positively charged matter in which electrons are embedded, whereas Rutherford stated that atoms are made of electrons that orbit a positively charged nucleus made up of protons and neutrons. To further clarify, Thomson had the "plum pudding" idea, where electrons - "plums" - float in a positively charged matter - "pudding." The Rutherford model is the commonly accepted one.

Hyein Cha 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Nuclear Model of the Atom

Postby Hyein Cha 2I » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 pm

ssthirkannad wrote:Thomson thought that atoms are uniform spheres of positively charged matter in which electrons are embedded, whereas Rutherford stated that atoms are made of electrons that orbit a positively charged nucleus made up of protons and neutrons. To further clarify, Thomson had the "plum pudding" idea, where electrons - "plums" - float in a positively charged matter - "pudding." The Rutherford model is the commonly accepted one.

just to add, what was important in Rutherford's model was that he found out that an atom is mostly an empty space, with a compact nucleus in the middle and electrons orbiting that nucleus.

Return to “Properties of Light”