Balmer vs Lyman  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

HanSitoy

Balmer vs Lyman

Postby HanSitoy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:56 pm

For the exam, do we need to memorize the various wavelengths of light that correspond to each series?

Nisarg Shah 1C

Re: Balmer vs Lyman

Postby Nisarg Shah 1C » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:52 pm

No, you probably don't. You should probably know what energy levels they start at and what part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum they are on. In the Lyman series, the relaxed state of the electron is n = 1 and it emits UV light. In the Balmer series, the relaxed state of the electron is n = 2 and it emits visible light.

Genisis Cabral

Re: Balmer vs Lyman  [ENDORSED]

Postby Genisis Cabral » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Yea again, most likely you won't need to memorize them, anything that you'd need to answer the given questions will be given to you. If I remember correctly my TA stated that if you really don't need to worry about memorizing the specific wavelengths and if it was needed it would be given. But it is still beneficial to be familiarized with what wavelengths correspond to which series.

Clarissa Molina 1D

Postby Clarissa Molina 1D » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Along with the wavelengths within the Balmer and Lyman series, will we need to memorize the wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum? Or will they be given to us?

Belle Calforda3f

Postby Belle Calforda3f » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:32 pm

I believe they said we will get a chart to use on the test. However, I don't think it will say for example that the Balmer Series is visible light.

Reyna Alonso 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Reyna Alonso 1E » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 pm

The equation sheet that Dr. Lavelle showed us in class in Friday is posted under Constants and Equations which shows all the ones that will be given to us.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”