Identifying radiation based on a wavelength

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

camrynpatterson3C

Identifying radiation based on a wavelength

Postby camrynpatterson3C » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi guys!
Does anyone know if we will have to be able to identify what kind of radiation something is based on its wavelength, on the test?
For example, #44 on the Atomic Spectra Post-Module Assessment.

K Stefanescu 2I

Re: Identifying radiation based on a wavelength

Postby K Stefanescu 2I » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 pm

We must know the visible light spectrum (700-400 nm). Anything greater than 700 is infrared, values slightly below 400 fall into the UV spectrum. I don't believe we need to know the spectrum to the extent of differentiating microwaves and x-rays...

Sam Smoot 2L

Postby Sam Smoot 2L » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:44 pm

I do not believe we need to know the specific ranges of wavelengths on the spectrum (x-rays, microwaves, radio waves, etc) though it would not hurt and I would definitely learn their general positions (longer/shorter wavelength). I know one question in the book asked which color in the visible spectrum a wavelength correlated to but I am doubtful this will be on a test (but it is possible). As stated above, knowing the range of visible light and where infrared and ultraviolet light is on the spectrum is probably enough.

Danah Albaaj 1I

Postby Danah Albaaj 1I » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:51 pm

On the test I took yesterday, the values were given to me. However, I agree with what others have been saying and recommend knowing their differences because wavelength relates to the key concepts of this chapter.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”