Angular Variables

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Diego Zavala 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Angular Variables

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm

We can state Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle in terms of angular variable as , where delta L is the uncertainty in angular momentum and delta phi is the uncertainty in angular position. For electrons in an atom, the angular momentum has definite quantized values with no uncertainty whatsoever. What can we conclude about the uncertainty in the angular position and about the validity of the orbit concept?

Diego Zavala 2I

Re: Angular Variables

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:04 pm

I manage to convert the equation in the textbook, delta X and delta momentum > h/4pi into
but I don't know how to interpret this equation given that angular momentum has no uncertainty.

Humza_Khan_2J

Postby Humza_Khan_2J » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Angular momentum is based on velocity, ergo I would believe that it does have a level of uncertainty. However, there's a set angular momentum quantum number for each electron(but this determines shape). I believe these are two different concepts. Does anyone know more about a potential distinction between the two?

Diego Zavala 2I

Postby Diego Zavala 2I » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 pm

I also thought that angular momentum should have some level of uncertainty, but I believe it does not because the problem states that angular momentum has definite qunatized values. However, the equation would not make sense since h would be divided by 0.

Return to “Heisenberg Indeterminacy (Uncertainty) Equation”