Abbreviating e- configurations  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Wakefield 1H

Abbreviating e- configurations

Postby Jessica Wakefield 1H » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:31 pm

When writing e- configurations, would you always shorten it with the last element in the previous row and then add on from there?

Miranda 1J

Re: Abbreviating e- configurations  [ENDORSED]

Postby Miranda 1J » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:36 pm

That's just a way of writing the short-hand e- configuration. If you're asked to write the full electron configuration then you don't shorten it from the last noble gas before it, you do it all starting from the 1s subshell.

Andrea ORiordan 1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Abbreviating e- configurations

Postby Andrea ORiordan 1L » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Another notation style includes listing each sub-orbital (i.e. px, py, pz) with the number of electrons in that orbital (i.e. 2px1). That's also just a convention, and it's fine to just write p instead of separating it into 3 sub-orbitals.

Angel Ni 2K

Postby Angel Ni 2K » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 pm

It depends on what the question is asking for. I would use noble gas configuration when the question asks for it.

MichelleT_1L

Postby MichelleT_1L » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:49 am

That is a shorthand way of writing the configuration. I believe it depends on what the question is asking for, but in general it is much easier to write the configuration with the noble gas shorthand.

Rithik Kumar 3E

Postby Rithik Kumar 3E » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:20 pm

That would be the short hand e- configuration method in which the noble gas of the previous period is used to limit the longevity of the electron configuration. However, I think the method by which we write the e- configuration will be made specific within the individual questions. I agree with the above statements in regard to the notion that unless stated otherwise, e- configurations should be written in their full form starting from the 1s orbital.

Alex Nechaev 1I

Postby Alex Nechaev 1I » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Andrea ORiordan 1L wrote:Another notation style includes listing each sub-orbital (i.e. px, py, pz) with the number of electrons in that orbital (i.e. 2px1). That's also just a convention, and it's fine to just write p instead of separating it into 3 sub-orbitals.

It's alright if we don't write the notations with the as px, py, pz right? We won't get marked down? Because I know he does it this way in class most times.

Andrea ORiordan 1L
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Andrea ORiordan 1L » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:05 pm

No, we won't get marked down to my knowledge. Usually he uses px, py, and pz when explaining specific concepts that require those notations to be understood, such as hybridization.

Return to “Quantum Numbers and The H-Atom”