Ionic vs. Covalent Bonds  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ionic vs. Covalent Bonds

Postby 304922790 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Can someone explain the difference to me between a covalent and ionic bond? I know that a covalent bond, two atoms/ elements share electrons, and with ionic bonds metals give up and electrons while the nonmetal gains an electron. Why do elements want achieve noble gas configuration? Also, in the case of KCl, K becomes an cation while Cl becomes and anion, how does that make potassium chloride an ionic bond? What holds the two atoms together?

Lucian1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Ionic vs. Covalent Bonds  [ENDORSED]

Postby Lucian1F » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:32 pm

A covalent bond is between nonpolar, or atoms with little charge. An ion is between two ions which have very high charge in comparison. Elements want a full octet, or achieve the noble gas configuration, because this configuration is the most stable. What holds the two atoms together in an ionic bond is the attraction between the positive and negative charges.

Clara Hu 1G

Re: Ionic vs. Covalent Bonds

Postby Clara Hu 1G » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 pm

So just to add on, in the case of KCl, K becomes a cation with a charge of +1 while Cl forms an anion with charge -1, so the attraction between the positive and negative charges causes them to form an ionic bond.

Gabriela Carrillo 1B

Postby Gabriela Carrillo 1B » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 pm

In relation to covalent and ionic bonds are Lewis diagrams only applicable to covalent bonds???

Hyein Cha 2I

Postby Hyein Cha 2I » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Gabriela Carrillo 1B wrote:In relation to covalent and ionic bonds are Lewis diagrams only applicable to covalent bonds???

No, Lewis diagrams are applicable to ionic bonds also

Kyle Reidy 3H

Postby Kyle Reidy 3H » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:01 am

Lewis Diagrams are actually quite helpful in ionic bonds, because we can visualize the electron leaving one element to go to the other. This is why we made a Lewis Diagram in class for sodium chloride (K+ Cl-).

Beza Ayalew 1I

Postby Beza Ayalew 1I » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 pm

When drawing Lewis structures of ionic bonds on an exam, do you think would we lose points for not having a plus or minus in the top right corner like Lavelle had in class even if we have the right dot structure?

Tylor McGrew 1J

Postby Tylor McGrew 1J » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:13 pm

bezaayalew wrote:When drawing Lewis structures of ionic bonds on an exam, do you think would we lose points for not having a plus or minus in the top right corner like Lavelle had in class even if we have the right dot structure?

I believe you would be marked down for not including the plus or minus sign because without the sign one wouldn't know that the lewis structure is a cation or an anion, which makes a big difference.

Guangyu Li 2J

Postby Guangyu Li 2J » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Covalent Bonds are formed when two atoms shared their outermost electrons. When the electronegativity are different, two atoms will share electrons unevenly and the covalent bond will be a polar covalent bond. However, it is a limit of the electronegativity difference that when it is above 2.0, the atom will a higher electronegativity will "steal" the electrons and become negatively charged ions(cation) and the less electronegative atom will become positively charged ions(anions). Under this circumstance, the bond will be an ionic bond.

Return to “Ionic & Covalent Bonds”