Coordinate Covalent Bond Definition

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Krupa Prajapati

Coordinate Covalent Bond Definition

Postby Krupa Prajapati » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 am

Hi! I was still a little unclear as to what coordinate covalent bonds are exactly. From what I understand, when a central atom of a molecule does not have a full octet, another atom can bond to this central atom and share electrons. The other atom which attaches to the central atom forms a coordinate covalent bond with the central atom, because it can be removed from the molecule much easier(?)This is the part I am confused about. If someone could help clarify that'd be great. Thanks!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Coordinate Covalent Bond Definition

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:24 am

Usually when we form covalent bonds, each atom contributes one electron to the bond (eg. CH4, C2H6). In a coordinate covalent bond, one atom contributes two atom to the bond, and the other atom contributes 0. In this way, one atom donates an electron pair (Lewis base), and the other atom accepts this electron pair (Lewis acid).

Hope this helps!

YashDeshmukh1D

Postby YashDeshmukh1D » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:30 pm

How does the final atom just relinquish its lone pair electrons like that, especially if it does nothing to fulfill its own octet? Does the electronegativity of the central atom have to be significantly high for that attraction to occur?

Elena Saab 4A

Postby Elena Saab 4A » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:57 pm

How can you tell if a molecule has a coordinate covalent bond? Can you differentiate by the Lewis structure?

Return to “Coordinate Covalent Bonds”