Lewis Structures and Formal Charge

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alexis Elliott 1J

Lewis Structures and Formal Charge

Postby Alexis Elliott 1J » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if for every Lewis Structure we draw if we have to calculate the formal charge to figure out how many bonds to put in. Do you always have to calculate the formal charge to see if your number of bonds is correct? Or if you have the right number of electrons in your structure it is safe to assume your Lewis Structure is correct.

Thanks!
Alexis

Katrina_Galian 1J

Re: Lewis Structures and Formal Charge

Postby Katrina_Galian 1J » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:36 pm

I was wondering the same thing, but I think the safe thing to do is to just calculate the formal charge to check your work.

Roline Dahi 1J

Postby Roline Dahi 1J » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:01 pm

I agree, I'd say stay safe and do both to make sure your lewis structure is perfect

Yizhou Liu 3L

Postby Yizhou Liu 3L » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Not always. For those simple Lewis structures such as CH4 and NH3, we know that the formal charge would be 0 and there's only single bond in those molecules. However, for those exceptions to octet rule, such as SO4^2- and ClO4^1-, you need to calculate the formal charge because they have expanded valence shells.

Veronica Rasmusen 2B

Postby Veronica Rasmusen 2B » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:30 pm

There are many cases where you will draw the most stable lewis structure right off the bat, but it's always a good idea to check formal charge in case just so you don't end up losing points.

Sonja Kobayashi 1H

Postby Sonja Kobayashi 1H » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Hello!
Even if the question does not ask you to find the formal charge, it is best to calculate it anyways because even though the lewis structure could have the right amount of bonds, that does not mean it is the most stable lewis structure. Therefore, you want to make sure the lewis structure you draw is the most stable meaning most of the formal charges are zero!

Steven Chau 1B

Postby Steven Chau 1B » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:14 pm

It would be best to calculate the formal charge just to check if your structure is stable. The lower the total formal charge of your compound the more stable it would be, so you would want to find the structure with a formal charge of 0.

Angel R Morales Dis1G

Postby Angel R Morales Dis1G » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Yeah, check your formal charges to make sure the lewis structure makes sense. For example, if a Flourine in your structure ended with a positive charge, it's pretty clear that there is a mistake.

Return to “Formal Charge and Oxidation Numbers”