Lewis Structures

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kathleen Vidanes 1E

Lewis Structures

Postby Kathleen Vidanes 1E » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:28 pm

I made a few mistakes on my Lewis Dot Structures on the midterm, because I did not draw them based on how they were written in the formula. For example, for HOCO, I did not draw it as H--O--C--O, but rather connected the hydrogen atom and the two oxygen atoms directly to carbon on three different sides, and ended up getting zero formal charges on all of them. I don't think I was taught to draw Lewis structures based on how the formula is written in high school. Is this always the case when drawing them?

Amanda Mac 1C

Re: Lewis Structures

Postby Amanda Mac 1C » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 pm

My logic with how to place the atoms was that C likes to have four bonds, Oxygen likes to have two, and Hydrogen likes to have one bond (this is what I learned as the HONC guideline in high school chemistry). With this in mind, if you put the two O's and the H around the C, then the number of bonds aren't favorable. On the other hand, if you structure it has H-O=C=O, the number of bonds for each are favorable. Also, I think usually, you can place the atoms as they are written, so HOCO.

Mikaila 3E

Postby Mikaila 3E » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:48 am

Also for that question, remember to put the radical on the element with the least electronegativity.

Kathleen Vidanes 1E

Postby Kathleen Vidanes 1E » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Thank you so much! This helped a lot.

Return to “Lewis Structures”