Kc to Kp Conversion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

RuchaDeshpande1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Kc to Kp Conversion

Postby RuchaDeshpande1L » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Will we need to know how to convert values of Kc to values of Kp, and vice versa? If so, how do we do this? Do you need to use the Ideal Gas Law (PV=nRT)? There were a few problems like this on a worksheet my TA gave me, so I just wanted to clarify.

Salman Azfar 1K

Re: Kc to Kp Conversion

Postby Salman Azfar 1K » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:07 pm

I am not sure as to whether or not we will need to know how to do this, but basically you need to use the ideal gas law. If given pressure to get Kc, you need to put pressure into the ideal gas law and calculate the unknown values (most likely moles). Then use those moles to get concentrations and calculate Kc. There are more specific ways to describe this, but that is the basic way.

Sammy Thatipelli 1B

Postby Sammy Thatipelli 1B » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:07 pm

On one of the chemical equilibrium models, there are questions that Dr. Lavelle wrote that ask you to convert concentrations to pressures and vice versa. Yes, you would use the equation PV=nrt, and know that concentration is equal to P/rt. I would definitely study this because it was one the module post assessments

Julia Meno 1D

Postby Julia Meno 1D » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:21 pm

When we say concentration = P/(RT), is "concentration" the molar concentration (Kc)?

Shannon Wasley 2J

Postby Shannon Wasley 2J » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:57 pm

The concentration would be in reference to the specific molar concentration of the compound whose partial pressure is being used in the equation.

nanditasundarapandian1D

Postby nanditasundarapandian1D » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 am

also concentration is n/v in the PV = nRT equation. That's why we are able to get a correlation between them.

Return to “Ideal Gases”