Why is fusion another name for melting?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Harjas Sabharwal 1G

Why is fusion another name for melting?

Postby Harjas Sabharwal 1G » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 pm

I was curious why fusion and melting mean the same thing with regard to ΔHfus? Fusion and melting seem almost the opposite of each other seeing as how when something melts, some of the bonds in the solid break apart.

Abel Thomas 2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Why is fusion another name for melting?

Postby Abel Thomas 2C » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 pm

It may have to do with the fact the etymology of the word fusion comes from the Latin "fundere" which means "melting together".

Nancy Dinh 2J

Postby Nancy Dinh 2J » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm

You could also think about it in terms of the intermolecular bonds. In the gas phase, the molecules are too far apart to have any effect on each other but in the liquid phase, the molecules form intermolecular bonds that more or less hold the molecules together, thereby "fusing" them in a way.

Janet Nguyen 2H

Postby Janet Nguyen 2H » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Abel Thomas 2C wrote:It may have to do with the fact the etymology of the word fusion comes from the Latin "fundere" which means "melting together".

I think this is correct. That's what my TA said during discussion

Justin Folk 3I

Postby Justin Folk 3I » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 am

You might also be able to think of it as fusion being the heat it takes to put together, which is the reverse and equal in absolute value to the heat it takes to break apart?

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”