Systems

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hailey Johnson

Systems

Postby Hailey Johnson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm having trouble differentiating between closed and isolated systems. Can someone give me some examples of the two?

Isita Tripathi 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Systems

Postby Isita Tripathi 2E » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm

An isolated system is coffee in a sealed thermos because neither energy nor mass (coffee) can leave/enter. A closed system is coffee in a sealed cup, because it can exchange energy in the form of heat with the surroundings, but it still cannot exchange mass.

Samira 2B

Postby Samira 2B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:46 pm

An open system is one that can exchange matter and energy with its surroundings. A closed system is one that can only exchange energy and an isolated is one that can't exchange either matter or energy.

Danah Albaaj 1I

Postby Danah Albaaj 1I » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

A closed system has a fixed amount of matter within it, but it can exchange energy with its surroundings. The coolant in a refrigerator coil is an example of a closed system because the type of matter doesn't change (coolant) and there is an energy exchange (temperature of refrigerator). Isolated systems can exchange neither energy or matter with its surroundings, essentially having no contact with its surroundings. The coffee in a insulated thermos is an example of an isolated system because the type of matter doesn't change (coffee) and there is no energy exchange with the surroundings (coffee stays the same temperature).

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”