System Types

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cyianna 2F

System Types

Postby Cyianna 2F » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:40 pm

Can someone please give me specific examples of each type of system(open, closed, isolated) and why they're that way? It's difficult to grasp the difference between them.

Andrea Grigsby 1I

Re: System Types

Postby Andrea Grigsby 1I » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

the example Dr lavelle gave in class was just to think of 3 test tubes
- Open system: both matter and energy can travel out, which would be an open test tube with no insulation
- Closed system: only energy can travel out, not matter, which would be a closed test tube
- Isolated system: neither matter nor energy can travel out, which is like an insulated closed test tube (as no energy can be transferred to the surroundings and no matter can travel out of the opening of the test tube

ZoeHahn1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby ZoeHahn1J » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:18 am

An open system is unique in that matter and energy (heat, work) can be transferred in/out of it (like a person, or a houseplant). Closed systems cannot exchange matter w/ surroundings, only energy (like an uninsulated tupperware - food won't get out, but the heat from the food will). Isolated systems don't exchange anything w/ their surroundings, so delta U off isolated systems is always 0.

Nate O 2L

Postby Nate O 2L » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 am

Okay I see this but how will this affect the different types of formulas we are going to have to use?

Kailey Brodeur 1J

Postby Kailey Brodeur 1J » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am

If the system is isolated, no energy or mass can be transferred between the system and surroundings. This means that the internal energy of an isolated system cannot change (the first law of thermodynamics) delta U = q + w = 0. In a closed system, mass cannot be transferred, but energy can be. In an open system, both energy and matter can be transferred. However, I don't think we can specifically relate equations to system because we have to be aware of other factors, such as if the pressure or volume is constant or if we are dealing with ideal gases.

Leanne Wong 1H

Postby Leanne Wong 1H » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 pm

open system = matter and energy exchanged with the surrounding
closed system = only energy exchanged with the surrounding
isolated system = no matter or energy is exchanged with the surrounding

Amelia Georgius 1K

Postby Amelia Georgius 1K » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:52 pm

In an open system, both energy and matter can be exchanged between the system and the surroundings. In a closed system, only energy can be exchanged between the system and the surroundings, and in an isolated system neither energy or matter can be exchanged between the system and the surroundings.

Erik Khong 2E

Postby Erik Khong 2E » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:29 pm

If you want specific examples, there are some in the textbook:

Open: an open flash
Closed: a flask with a cork
Isolated: a plugged flask in a thermally-insulated material

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”