Difference between Closed and Isolated

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abdullah2I

Difference between Closed and Isolated

Postby Abdullah2I » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 pm

What's the exact difference between these two?

Nicole 1F

Re: Difference between Closed and Isolated

Postby Nicole 1F » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:45 pm

A closed system can share heat, whereas an isolated system cannot. Both cannot share particles with their surroundings.

Anna Okabe

Postby Anna Okabe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

For example you can heat up a beaker with a lid on it (closed system) and the contents will become warmer, but you can't heat up the contents of an isolated system such as a thermos bottle.

Frenz Cabison 1B

Postby Frenz Cabison 1B » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:50 pm

A closed system can exchange energy with the surroundings, but it cannot exchange matter.
An isolated system can neither exchange energy nor matter with the surroundings.

Scout_2C

Postby Scout_2C » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 pm

The way that I learned the differences is with examples, so:

A Lithium battery is a closed system. At first, I thought it was going to be an isolated because it was sealed off and the internal matter of the battery can't be affected (unless the battery explodes) but I wasn't taking into account the charge of the battery. Think about the fact that a battery allows an electrical charge to pass through it, and that the charge of the battery will at some point die. This shows the transfer of energy, but not matter which defines a closed system.

An isolated system is a little harder because technically there is no truly perfect isolated system (at least I don't think there is) but the best example I could think of is a thermos. If I put hot soup in a thermos, the insulated walls and the tight lid will not allow the heat (energy) or the actual soup or steam (matter) to escape so that by lunchtime I will still have a hot soup, maybe not at the exact temp it was at the beginning of the day but pretty close.

Hope this helps!

Joanne Guan 1B

Postby Joanne Guan 1B » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Closed systems are able to exchange energy with their surroundings, but they cannot exchange matter. Isolated systems cannot exchange energy or matter. For example, if you were to put hot water in a normal bottle, the water will start to cool down to room temperature. However, if you put hot water inside a thermos, the water will stay hot (although this isn't a perfect example of an isolated system). Both bottles won't be able to exchange matter with its surroundings, however.

Guangyu Li 2J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Guangyu Li 2J » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:12 am

In thermodynamics, the systems without both matter exchange and energy exchange are isolated systems
In thermodynamics, the systems without matter exchange with the surroundings are closed systems, but there can be some energy exchange.

In other words, if there is an energy exchange is the main difference between these two kinds of thermodynamic systems.

Hope this helps!

Angel Ni 2K

Postby Angel Ni 2K » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 am

In an isolated system, neither particles nor heat can be transferred. In a closed system, heat can be transferred but particles cannot.

Irma Ramos 2I

Postby Irma Ramos 2I » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 am

An isolated system doesn't exchange anything with its surroundings, and a closed system can exchange energy with its surroundings but not matter.

An example of a closed system is a sealed beaker of water, and an example of an isolated system is the combustion of glucose in a bomb calorimeter.

Amelia Georgius 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Amelia Georgius 1K » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 pm

A closed system can exchange energy with its surroundings, an example would be a closed test tube. An isolated system cannot exchange energy or matter with its surroundings, such as an insulated thermos.

Erik Khong 2E

Postby Erik Khong 2E » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:28 pm

While a closed system can exchange heat with its surroundings, an isolated system cannot exchange energy. Of course, both cannot exchange matter either.

Return to “Thermodynamic Systems (Open, Closed, Isolated)”