Test Number 1

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hailey Johnson

Test Number 1

Postby Hailey Johnson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:41 pm

I need someone to explain a concept question from test 1. For the question that asks if heat is being transferred during the expansion of a balloon when temperature is constant I answered that heat wasn't being transferred, but got it wrong. Can someone tell me how heat is being transferred even though the temperature stays the same?

Danah Albaaj 1I

Re: Test Number 1

Postby Danah Albaaj 1I » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:48 pm

The volume of the balloon decreased, which means there was expansion work done. The definition of expansion work is from the change in the volume of the system, which is how we get the equation w = -P∆V

Ammar Amjad 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ammar Amjad 1L » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Based on what you've said in your post it appears that the system did work; therefore the balloon expanded. Can you post the full question?

miznaakbar
Been upvoted: 4 times

Postby miznaakbar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 pm

The question stated: A balloon filled with gas is expanded to a larger volume and lower pressure while maintaining the same temperature. Answer yes or no if heat is being transferred in the process.

My TA said that you do expansion work against the constant atmospheric pressure, which increases the volume. However, your temperature stays constant, which means that delta U = 0. This means that q = -w, so the heat flows into the system to balance the loss of energy due to work.

Yeyang Zu 2J

Postby Yeyang Zu 2J » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 pm

you can figure it out it two ways
(question:A balloon filled with gas is expanded to a larger volume and lower pressure while maintaining the same temperature. Answer yes or no if heat is being transferred in the process. )

1:since it is a isothermal expansion, delta T=0, then delta U=0. there is not energy transferred.
2:since temperature stays the same, there is no temperature between difference outside and inside, no heat is transferred.

Christina Bedrosian 1B

Postby Christina Bedrosian 1B » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:47 pm

doing work while maintaining a constant temp needs to include a heat transfer in order to maintain the constant temperature (q=-w or w=-q)

Peri Bingham 1G

Postby Peri Bingham 1G » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Heat transfer does not necessarily imply that there is a change in temperature. The heat transfer is due to the work being done by the system.

Rachel Formaker 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Rachel Formaker 1E » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 pm

There is heat transferred in this situation in order to keep temperature constant.
As a gas expands, it cools. Because the question tells us that temperature is constant, the gas must have absorbed heat from the surroundings to maintain its temperature and counteract the cooling from expansion.

Bansi Amin 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Bansi Amin 1D » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm

So the heat was transferred to make up for the change in energy in the system?

Wenjie Dong 2E

Postby Wenjie Dong 2E » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Bansi Amin 1D wrote:So the heat was transferred to make up for the change in energy in the system?

Heat is transferred because of a temperature different. The work is done by the system through giving off heat and the work is done to the system by increasing its heat.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using First Law of Thermodynamics”