Practice Midterm from Sunday's Review Sess - #3C

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joshua Hughes 1L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Practice Midterm from Sunday's Review Sess - #3C

Postby Joshua Hughes 1L » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 pm

the problem was: True/False: One cannot calculate the entropy of vaporization for water at room temperature because water has a boiling point of 373K.
The answer was False. Can someone please help explain this to me because I didn't understand the bit in the session. He started setting up a calculation and I got kind of lost. I am confused because it's not like you are heating the water to 373K to vaporize/boil it. I know water evaporates even below 373K but he split the calculation into three parts and I was just hoping someone could explain it to me. Thank you.

Mitch Mologne 1A

Re: Practice Midterm from Sunday's Review Sess - #3C

Postby Mitch Mologne 1A » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:06 pm

You can still calculate it by taking values and equations you know already. Because deltaS is a state function, you can take multiple steps to get there rather than just one. Just because water is not boiling at room temp, you can still find it the entropy of vaporization.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 421 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Joshua,
The concept I was trying to explain is that as long as you arrive at the same final state/condition, you can create any path with any steps and add up the entropy changes for all of them. This is because entropy is a state function, and is path independent. For further clarification, feel free to drop into Hedrick from 5-7pm tomorrow, 2/12 where I will be covering for Michael's UA session,

ZoeHahn1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby ZoeHahn1J » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 pm

We can calculate the entropy of vaporization of water at a temperature lower than its boiling point by adding delta S due to increasing the temperature to the boiling point + entropy of vaporization of water at the boiling point + delta S due to decreasing the temperature of the water back to the original temperature. We can do this because entropy is a state function.

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”