Standard Gibbs Free Energy doesn't change?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle Dong 1F

Standard Gibbs Free Energy doesn't change?

Postby Michelle Dong 1F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Does standard Gibbs free energy stay the same for the molecule at whatever condition? I thought it changed based on temperature due to the equation delta G standard = delta H standard - T*delta S standard. So when you plug in any temperature, you get a delta G standard based on the temperature. However, I keep hearing that delta G standard stays the same while delta G can change. Can someone clarify this for me?

Nancy Dinh 2J

Re: Standard Gibbs Free Energy doesn't change?

Postby Nancy Dinh 2J » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Michelle Dong 1F wrote:Does standard Gibbs free energy stay the same for the molecule at whatever condition? I thought it changed based on temperature due to the equation delta G standard = delta H standard - T*delta S standard. So when you plug in any temperature, you get a delta G standard based on the temperature. However, I keep hearing that delta G standard stays the same while delta G can change. Can someone clarify this for me?

Delta G standard is for when the temperature is 273.15K ONLY. Once you change T, you are no longer calculating the standard delta G but just delta G.

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”