15.17 a  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Meghna2A

15.17 a

Postby Meghna2A » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm

Can someone explain how we do the first part of 15.17?

Aditya Pimplaskar 1J

Re: 15.17 a

Postby Aditya Pimplaskar 1J » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm

To find the order of each reactant, find trials where the concentration of only one of the reactants changes. Compare the change in reactant concentration with the change in rate. If the rate changes by the same factor as the concentration, it is order 1. If it changes by a square of the change in concentration it is order two. If the rate changes by the change in concentration to the power n, it is order n. If there is no rate change for a change in reactant, the order is zero (the change in rate is independent of change in concentration).

Hope this helps!

Alexander Peter 1F

Re: 15.17 a

Postby Alexander Peter 1F » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:02 pm

How I think this is done, is that you must first isolate [A], [B], and [C]. For example, starting with experiments 1 and 4, you see that the initial rate is the same, 2.0, and [A] and [B] remain the same between the experiments, however [C] changes and is independent of the initial rate. This means [C] should be zero-order. Do this again with some of the other experiments to determine how [A] and [B] change respective to the initial rate.

Andrew Nguyen 2I

Re: 15.17 a  [ENDORSED]

Postby Andrew Nguyen 2I » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Always look for 2 experiments which keep all concentrations reactant except for one reactant for the first step. After that you can find the order of another reactant where the first reactant (which you found the rate for previously) can also be changing since you already have the rate of it.

Return to “Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics Controlling a Reaction”