Cell Concentration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abigail Volk 1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Cell Concentration

Postby Abigail Volk 1F » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 pm

On one of the bullet points on the electrochemistry outline says "understand how a concentration cell works and give an example." What is an example of cell concentration, or what is Lavelle looking for when answering this?

Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B

Re: Cell Concentration

Postby Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:07 am

I think Dr. Lavelle is talking about a cell that runs on the concentration difference between two chambers of the cell. He went over examples of these during lecture - different from a galvanic cell b/c doesn't depend on the oxidizing power / reducing power but instead on the conc. difference between two species.

Samantha Joseph 1F

Postby Samantha Joseph 1F » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 am

I think you just have to understand it conceptually, like how a concentration cell can be treated like a battery that gains voltage by transferring electrons from the lower concentrated cell to the higher concentrated cell. I think it's also supposed to be an example for application of the Nernst equation.

Rachel Wang

Postby Rachel Wang » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 pm

A concentration cell has the same electrode/element for both half cells BUT with different concentrations.

All concentration cells have E(nought) = 0.

Use the Nernst equation
E = Eo - 0.05916 V/n x log Q
or
E = 0 - 0.05916 V/n x log Q. You get Q from the overall redox rxn, which usually has the smaller Molarity on the product side.

Return to “Appications of the Nernst Equation (e.g., Concentration Cells, Non-Standard Cell Potentials, Calculating Equilibrium Constants and pH)”