Saying Thank You to Dr. Lavelle

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Curtis 2O

Re: Saying Thank You to Dr. Lavelle

Postby Ashley Curtis 2O » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
After a bad experience in AP Chem, I really thought I hated chemistry, and that I could never understand it. Then I had you as a professor for both chem 14A and 14B, and I must say when I first picked your class, I was scared that I would hate it. I didn't. Having you as my professor for two quarters really gave me a new understanding and appreciation of chemistry and I just want to say thank you for being so passionate about teaching and helping all your students.

Benjamin_Oh_3O

Postby Benjamin_Oh_3O » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Dear Dr.Lavelle,
After taking chemistry for the first time since 7th grade, I did not even know the definition of moles when I first started taking Chem 14 series. Even after Chem 14A on Fall quarter, it was really hard for me to see the bigger picture of chemistry. However, thanks to your enthusiasm for teaching, now I have a clear picture of how what I've learned in this chemistry courses can be related to any future science classes, from further chemistry classes to physics, or even to biology. I was really afraid to take your course, but after 10 weeks, I realize that it was a really good decision to take it with you because your passion encourages me to work hard and not to be afraid of challenges. Thank you so much.
Best,

Irene Ramos 1F

Postby Irene Ramos 1F » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you very much for all your lectures, patience, great attitude and smiles!
I appreciate very much the time you dedicated us and the different resources you provided us in order to have a better understanding of the material presented in your lectures! It was an honor to have you as a professor.
Also, I'm glad I was able to help you find a good marker. :)
Have a great Spring Break!

Patrick Wilson 2B

Postby Patrick Wilson 2B » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

When I was sitting in my Chem 14A final last quarter reviewing my answers it started to dawn on me how much chemistry I had really learned in your class (not just memorized) and how much we had covered in only ten weeks. Once again I have had similar realizations in 14B. I am not a very big fan of Chemistry, but after seeing all of the real life applications of our learning it is starting to grow on me. Chemistry really affects everything around us and describes so much in our world and daily lives. It's been a fun two quarters!

Thanks,
Patrick Wilson

Stephanie Yeganyan3G

Postby Stephanie Yeganyan3G » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Thank you for an interesting chemistry class and providing us with all the resources that you do.

Audrey Magsig 1E

Postby Audrey Magsig 1E » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:00 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

I can say that I've thoroughly enjoyed being in your chemistry class. I've learned so much in the class even outside the course material through this class. I appreciate everything you've done to help us succeed and even though it has been very difficult, it has been a great experience. Having a professor who is so obviously entertained by teaching and chemistry inspires and excites me to think more in depth about the topic and be more excited about learning. Thank you so much for all you have done!

danny_nguyen_3C

Postby danny_nguyen_3C » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for the great two quarters! My curiosity for chemistry has exponentially increased, and it is all thanks to you and your dedication to the subject. The way you put your students first is inspiring and I hope to be like you one day. Have a great spring break and rest of the year.

Danny

julia lai 3A

Postby julia lai 3A » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for being such a wonderful professor this quarter!

I appreciate how much effort and time you spend making sure we have all the resources we could possibly need to succeed (all those review sessions!), along with setting up bruincast for those who need it. Your thoroughness in teaching and genuine care for your students made your class a great experience. Going through those jokes and memes on Friday were fun as well!

All the Best,
Julia

Annie Duong 3L

Postby Annie Duong 3L » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle and Dr. Lavelle's amazing course reader. :^)

Catherine Liu 1D

Postby Catherine Liu 1D » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle! I wish I could have had you last quarter for 14A, I really like your teaching style!

Austyn_Yamada_1I

Postby Austyn_Yamada_1I » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for a wonderful quarter. I really enjoyed everything you taught me these past two quarters and i will use everything you taught me help further my education. Thank you so much and i wish you nothing but the best!!!!

JulieLy_3C

Postby JulieLy_3C » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Thank you for teaching this class Dr. Lavelle. I've come to enjoy chemistry ever since 14A with you. Thank you for giving us so many resources outside of class.

Precious_Li_1D

Postby Precious_Li_1D » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
I just wanted to say thank you along with the others ^^ I've learned so much during the course of your class and you really pushed me to do more. I love your jokes and your funny comments; although, I do find some very cheesy XD
Thank you so much again for a memorable quarter,

Jana_Lang_2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Jana_Lang_2B » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for reminding me why I love chemistry with all of the math and concepts that go into it. It's been nice having consistency in at least one professor for the past two quarters. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Aditya Mamtora 2C

Postby Aditya Mamtora 2C » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thanks for being the backbone of all pre-med students at UCLA, your enthusiasm and passion for teaching really made chemistry one of the best classes I have ever taken.

Regards,
Aditya Mamtora

Justin_Bueno_2O

Postby Justin_Bueno_2O » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for everything you have done for me and all your students throughout the years. After taking both 14A and now 14B, I know that everything you have taught and provided will be with me for years to come. You have prepared me beyond my expectations and I am thankful that I was able to be in your class.

marinarosebrock

Postby marinarosebrock » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
I have been far from a model student in your class. Sometimes I missed lectures and, more than once, I have stayed up all night in order to study for a quiz due to procrastination. In any other class I may have been left behind in week one. However, your dedication to me, as a first year student, has been unparalleled by any other professor, and for this, I am extremely grateful. Your extensive resources and clear passion for chemistry have been key in keeping me afloat as I adjust to a college curriculum. Thank you for all of the hard work and energy you gave to these courses, even when I did not.
I wish you all the best.
Sincerely,
A student who probably should have gone to a couple more of those "32 office hours and 28 peer learning sessions per week."

Sarai_Ferrer_3C

Postby Sarai_Ferrer_3C » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for showing the devotion a true professor who desires success for his students should have!

Hope all goes well with you and have a great spring break!

Adam_Alyafaie_1L

Postby Adam_Alyafaie_1L » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Lavelle you are a great teacher you really cares about your students. I appreciate the extra mile you went for us when it came to office hours and PLRs. I hope you have a fantastic break and continue teaching the way you have been.

PS please don't make the final hard.

Diondraya_Taylor_1C

Postby Diondraya_Taylor_1C » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:04 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for your commitment to teaching and really helping us to understand chemistry. The many resources that you have gone out of your way to provide us with have really made the difference for my performance these past two quarters and I absolutely feel like I will be leaving this class with the ability to do well in 14C and beyond.

Krista Yang 1C

Postby Krista Yang 1C » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

I really appreciate all you have done for us this quarter, providing so many office hours and organizing all the review sessions. Your commitment to our learning and your love of chemistry is evident in every class.

Thank you!

(Also, a huge thanks to all the UAs and TAs for their immense help this quarter!)

April Z 1K

Postby April Z 1K » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:42 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you for all you've done for the class, from the time you've invested into making the solid lectures, to organizing all the resources available (bruincast, review sessions, etc). Your attentiveness and effort is appreciated, and It's been a tough but memorable quarter.

GregoryPolyakov_1H

Postby GregoryPolyakov_1H » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle!
You've made this quarter (and the previous one) much better than I could have possibly expected Chemistry to be!
I am extremely appreciative of all of the review sessions that you have organized; it really goes to show how much you care about your students' success. Thanks again for an amazing Chem 14 experience!

Aarthi_Lakshmi_2A

Postby Aarthi_Lakshmi_2A » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Dr. Lavelle, you have no idea how much I would want you again as a professor. You're obviously very bright, enthusiastic, but most of all, kind. You always have a smile on your face, which makes chemistry seem much less daunting. Thank you for a great quarter.

JennaMinami1I

Postby JennaMinami1I » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for your diligence, love, and enthusiasm for teaching Chemistry at UCLA. You are the only professor I know of who gives so many resources to his students in hopes that they succeed in the course/develop a true interest in the topic taught. You go above and beyond what UCLA requires of its professors, and it really does mean a lot to your students.

I will definitely remember your course with fondness as I continue with my undergraduate career, and beyond.

Best,
Jenna

Anjum Farook 2O

Postby Anjum Farook 2O » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm

thank you for the time you've invested in ensuring we have access to countless resources that have helped us prepare for this class!

Angelica Nava-1E

Postby Angelica Nava-1E » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Thank You so much Dr. Lavelle for making Chemistry a subject that I've come to enjoy whereas in the past I didn't like so much. I loved your teaching style and all the opportunities you gave us to get help on things that we didn't understand. You are a great professor. Thank You again.

Breanna Buhay 2H

Postby Breanna Buhay 2H » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
After such a rough quarter of 14A (not that it's your fault, chemistry is just a hard topic for me to grasp), I was really worried coming into 14B. After finishing the class, I want to thank you for going beyond what is expected of most professors. Your dedication in helping us succeed, from constant resources to reviews sessions, it's amazing how you do so much even after everything that's happened in your life within the past year. I thank you for your hard work and passion and I wish you the best of luck in the rest of your endeavours. Thank you, Dr. Lavelle.

Mikaela Gareeb 3G

Postby Mikaela Gareeb 3G » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you for not only helping me understand chemistry better, but also for helping ease the transition from high school into college. You have been understanding every step of the way and have supported me, as well as your thousands of other students, in this exciting, yet nerve-wracking time in our lives. I appreciate your generosity and kindness greatly and after taking your class I feel prepared to tackle 14C and any other chem class thrown my way.
Best Regards,
Mikaela Gareeb

Kristina98

Postby Kristina98 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:46 pm

thanks dr lavelle :) great course

dayannaramirez_1J

Postby dayannaramirez_1J » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you so much for everything you have done. Although I think the course is challenging, your lectures and resources have helped me out a lot. I feel like I've taken a lot away from this class in terms of experience and knowledge. I hope you continue to succeed in your methods and enjoy the years to come.

Tiffany_Luu_1F

Postby Tiffany_Luu_1F » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Dear Dr Lavelle

Thank you for all the time you spend helping make this course more easier despite its difficulty. All the assistance along with the lectures and your course reader will all really helpful.

Selena_Wong_1I

Postby Selena_Wong_1I » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Dr. Lavelle,

Thanks for dedicating so much passion and time in teaching us Chem 14B. You really made my winter quarter memorable. I really enjoyed Friday's jokes and the numerous resources available for students.

ckim_1I

Postby ckim_1I » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to furthering our education despite the difficulties that have occurred this school year. It takes immense strength to be able to not let your problems affect you in your profession, but you have done so whenever you stepped into the lecture hall. I commend you not only as a student, but also as a human being.
I have learned many things besides thermodynamics and o-chem in your class. You have shattered my negativity about chemistry, especially after taking 14A with a horrible professor (I would like to thank you for that). You have also taught me the value of hard work, and those countless nights of studying will be seared into my mind as a reminder.
Thank you for showing so much kindness and interest in the well-being of your students! I have encountered many professors' who don't give a [censored] about the students, but you have again broken my perspective on that part.
On another note, I never would have realized how funny these chemistry jokes are when you actually understand them. These jokes have saved my life.
Bless your heart Dr. Lavelle, and I wish you the best!!!

Sincerely,
A Pessimistic Student Who Now Cares About Chemistry

Casey Monahan 2C

Postby Casey Monahan 2C » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you so much for introducing me to college chemistry. Your class was the one that I was most nervous about, but I learned that a class is nothing to be afraid of. Thank you so much for all of the help that you provide, and the cheeriness that you bring to class every day.

204751840 2E

Postby 204751840 2E » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for putting the amount of work you do into this class. Chemistry Community has provided me with the ability to quickly get my questions answered about difficult concepts. Your passion for chemistry also keeps me interested in class and makes the subject enjoyable.

nick_pantoja_3G

Postby nick_pantoja_3G » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you for all the resources and knowledge that you have given us. You have not only been able to make chemistry interesting but also easy to understand!
Sincerely,
Nick Pantoja

divya_devineni_2E

Postby divya_devineni_2E » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Thank you for all your help Dr. Lavelle!

Wenqian_Deng_1L

Postby Wenqian_Deng_1L » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for being such a superb and caring professor! The hours of preparation and organization of the lectures, course readers, and all of the resources is greatly appreciated. I came to college not looking forward to taking chemistry courses because in high school, AP chemistry never clicked for me, but you changed that. The detailed course reader, along with awesome TAs, and the amount of resources you provided, helped me overcome my fear of chemistry. I now look forward to taking the rest of the chemistry 14 series, and I cannot thank you enough for that. Please take care and continue to be amazing, energetic, and encouraging!

Brandon_Wu_2L

Postby Brandon_Wu_2L » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for the copious amount of resources you give this class. This class had more helpful resources than any other I have taken at UCLA so far with the TA/UA office hours, chemistry community, and course reader. The intro to organic chemistry course reader should be extremely helpful moving forward.

Thank you again!

Catherine_Zhang_1H

Postby Catherine_Zhang_1H » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for a fun two quarters! The extra effort you put into offering so many resources to us is much appreciated and so helpful for 14A and 14B! I've learned a lot from these classes and I'll definitely be prepared for 14C.

Tina_Keshishian_2F

Postby Tina_Keshishian_2F » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
Thanks for making chemistry fun! We're all very grateful to have someone like you as our professor this quarter.
Thanks again!

Yen Vuong 2I

Postby Yen Vuong 2I » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for leading this amazing class. I am forever grateful to professors such as yourself for all the time and effort you put into your lectures, and it really shines through during class regardless of how tired or sleepy we students are sometimes. During my time in high school, I had an incredible AP chemistry teacher who inspired me to fully learn and explore the subject, and I am glad that my passion has not faded since then because of Dr. Li and yourself. In fact, I want to become a TA or UA for chemistry in the future now so maybe I can hope to aspire to be as inspiring as you are to all of us. Again, thank you for everything this quarter and I wish you a fantastic spring break.

Sincerely,
Yen Vuong

Adam Wojnar 1K

Postby Adam Wojnar 1K » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Thank you for everything Dr. Lavelle. You are by far the best professor I've had in my college career, and I'm very pleased to have learned so much from you. Your dedication to teaching is awesome, and you are very appreciated by me and all other students! Thanks again!

trase aguigam 2A

Postby trase aguigam 2A » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for your constant support. I think I speak for everyone when I say you are someone who cares deeply about the success of all your students. Thank you for taking the time and going the extra mile for me and for all of your students.

Amber_Carlton_3D

Postby Amber_Carlton_3D » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Since beginning college in your 14A class, I cannot express enough gratitude for all of the hard work you put in to this class. Throughout 14A and 14B, your organization, helpful review sessions, and endless hours of opportunities you have given students to expand their knowledge and better their understanding of chemistry has truly stood out to me. Although I have not been in college too long, your passion and care you show towards your students, TAs, UAs, and chemistry itself is so refreshing and inspiring. Chem 14A and 14B have changed my college experience in a positive way thus far, and I am now excited to see what else lies in store for my future chemistry classes! I was never a huge fan of chemistry in high school, but your interesting lectures, helpful course readers, and chemistry community allowed me to really learn past what I thought were my limits, altering my views towards chemistry for the better :). Thank you for such a great two quarters, and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your teaching experience :). Also, thank you for your chem jokes. They were greatly appreciated!

Best,
Amber Carlton

Postby 904571591 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle! We can have total 20 hours office hours every week and a such website to ask questions, they are really help, and I have never have a class like this. Need to say thank you and hope I can done your 14A well.

Best,
Zihui

Mitch Walters

Postby Mitch Walters » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi Dr. Lavelle,

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the great resources you've provided for us so far. You're a fantastic instructor!

Postby 905022356 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:50 am

Dr Lavelle,

Thank you for coming to class in a good mood everyday. Thank you for your patience and for the effort you put in giving us all possible tools for us to succeed in your class. Your explanations are simple and straightforward, you make difficult chemistry easy to understand. See you next quarter! :)

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 pm

You are most welcome!

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.
Enjoy your break.

Mariane Sanchez 1E

Postby Mariane Sanchez 1E » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Hello Dr. Lavelle,

Wow! What a quarter! This Chemistry class was definitely a great experience. I never liked Chemistry before because I can never understand it... until I got into your class. It's amazing how one's perspective can instantly change once a great teacher comes along -- and in just a span of 10 weeks. Thank you for being so passionate in teaching and considerate towards your students, I definitely felt your care despite having hundreds of us! How I hope all the professors I come along in college will be as great as you. The resources you have provided were sooooo helpful, not only did it help me with the subject but it also made me new connections/friends. Big thanks to the UAs (Hi Ronald and Victoria!!!) and TAs (Ieva!!) as well, they all did their best with helping us -- thank you so much!

Honestly after taking this class, I feel very bad for all the students who never got to experience your teaching. In any case, I am sooo looking forward for 14B! I am excited to learn new topics for the sake of learning and not so much as just passing the class and fulfilling my pre-major!

All the best,
Mariane Sanchez

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:39 am

Many thanks to all of you.

Good luck with your finals.

Yixin Angela Wang 2H

Postby Yixin Angela Wang 2H » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm

I don't know if people are still posting these, but I want to thank Dr. Lavelle for being an encouraging and dynamic professor; his courses really helped me to gain confidence and proficiency in chemistry. I can now firmly say that I like chemistry more than I do physics. Before, they were sort of tied.

Akash_Kapoor_1L

Postby Akash_Kapoor_1L » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle!!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Welcome!

Phillip Tran

Postby Phillip Tran » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Dr. Lavelle

You da real mvp

Yours truly

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Dimitri just told me what that means.
Thank you.

I have one for all of you:

UCLA students are da bomb!

:-)

DamianW

Postby DamianW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Honestly, thank you so much. You made me work, but I did learn so much

Mishta Stanislaus 1H

Postby Mishta Stanislaus 1H » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you so much of your dedication to teaching. I really came into this class without a strong chemistry background but I rarely felt like that out me at a disadvantage. These past two quarters have really made be appreciate chemistry and all of its real world applications. Thanks again!

Jason Muljadi 2C

Postby Jason Muljadi 2C » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

I hated chemistry in high school and I honestly was dreadful in it. I had a good teacher, don't get me wrong. It just felt like chemistry and I had a terrible relationship. I decided to give chemistry one final go. Going into my fall quarter, I had resigned to myself that if I didn't like it/sucked at it when I take the class, I would drop out of my major and seriously reconsider my life choices. It's now been 5ish months since I first stepped into your class and I can say that I am reassured in the path in life that I'm taking and that you and your class were truly a blessing in my life. It was challenging; my grades will not be what I want, but I think the experiences, the foundations, and the love of chemistry that I fostered in your class are worth more than a letter on a piece of paper (I'm also not pre-med, so I can say that lol)

Was I the best student? No. Everyone taking this class is brilliant in some way and their determination and insight motivated me to keep chugging along and to be more inquisitive. Did I fully take advantage of your resources? I wish I can say that I did, but I really didn't. I went to most of the review sessions, continually went to office hours and UA sessions, and posted regularly-ish on the forum. Those definitely helped me out (s/o to Joe, Ieva, Dimitri, Alex, Sean, and Lyndon for helping me out) But I was being passive at times. Did I grow as a student? Absolutely. This class challenged me and made me change my study habits. I look for the best way to be efficient now. Have I changed my mind about chemistry? Yes. I think after taking your 14A class, I could not stop talking about quantum mechanics to my friends at home because I loved learning about that.

I don't believe there's anything else I can say to fully encapsulate my gratitude. So, thank you for these five months and thank you for instilling confidence in me. I will miss this class. I wish you nothing but the best!

Sincerely,
Jason

Joshua Hughes 1L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Joshua Hughes 1L » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Thank you, Dr. Lavelle, for being such a great professor for the last two quarters. I'm really going to miss you in 14C and 14D, your smile is always so contagious in lecture. Also, the amount you care for your students is really evident based on all the outside hours and resources you made available to us in 14A and 14B and it was really appreciated :)

Also, thank you to all the TAs and UAs who were super chill and helpful in office hours and review sessions who had to put up with my dumb questions (shout out to my TAs Dane and Mackenzie, you guys rock!).
Wish you all the best!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:39 am

The above thoughtful communications are much appreciated and why I work consistently to assist everyone.

Great to have the terrific TAs and UAs acknowledged, as we did in class.
Great team effort.
:-)

PS.
Just finished answering final exam questions. Time to bring another good quarter to a close.
Well done everyone!

MinyoungHong_1L

Postby MinyoungHong_1L » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Dear Dr.Lavelle,
Thank you for your kind spirit and patience throughout this quarter. Your dedication to this class and to your students is astounding, and your expertise is evident. Although chemistry is not an easy area of study for me, I was always touched by your enthusiasm for the topic. Thank you for all that you do for your students. The countless hours of outside-of-class help, modules, chemistry community, and more that you have organized do not go unnoticed. Wishing you all the best in the future!

Jazmin 1H

Postby Jazmin 1H » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

I appreciate all of the effort you put into helping all of your students succeed--all the resources that you provide truly do help. Also, your enthusiasm for teaching chemistry made me excited to go to class every time, even though chemistry can be tough sometimes. Thank you so much for everything! I hope to have you as a professor for Chem 14B (:

Taizha 1C

Postby Taizha 1C » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle!

As a first year at UCLA, you made me feel comfortable taking 14A this quarter with no prior chemistry background from high school!

chemlover

Postby chemlover » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Dear Dr.Lavelle,

Thankyou so much for teaching this class this quarter. Although I was really scared this quarter, you were a great professor. One thing I really enjoyed from your class was that you really taught the basics for those who weren't as familiar with the material from high school.

Thankyou,

Sumaya Khader.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank for all your positive feedback. It is much appreciated and encourages me to continue.

Zack Barta 3I

Postby Zack Barta 3I » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Lavelle is the Best!

Postby 305127455 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you Dr.Lavelle for this quarter's great lectures and other studying experiences such as The Online Community. Also, your music does make me feel more relaxed, which is important for high study efficiency.

nataliefgarcia3I

Postby nataliefgarcia3I » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle !!!!

Jasmine Chow 1F

Postby Jasmine Chow 1F » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:09 am

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for always keeping the class engaging. I also enjoy the fact that you have been using models in class to explain the molecular structure! Looking forward to your 14b lectures next quarter!

Saima Salam 3J

Postby Saima Salam 3J » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

You are truly an amazing professor and I am so grateful to be part of this class. You haven't only made chemistry interesting but made it simple. Even though at times I didn't understand the homework or lecture, but I still had a supporting community such as this one where students are teaching one another and learning from one another. Thank you for all you do and for creating this amazing forum. I deeply am grateful for it all.

Sincerely,
Saima Salam

Jasmine Chow 1F

Postby Jasmine Chow 1F » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:30 am

Thank you so much Dr. Lavelle for all the you do. Your lectures and all your resources have helped me do well and keep up with the class.

Andrew Lam 3B

Postby Andrew Lam 3B » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for making your lectures informative and engaging. It has been easy to keep up with the material presented and I am looking forward to 14B next quarter.

1K Kevin

Postby 1K Kevin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Dr. Lavelle i just want to say that having chemistry community has been a huge help in helping me succeed. Some topics have been harder than others but having this resource always with me is a huge help.

Yousif Jafar 1G

Postby Yousif Jafar 1G » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for everything this quarter. Your class has been one of my favorites and I really appreciate your positive attitude and smile you bring to every lecture. Can't wait to have you again next quarter!

Angela Cong 3C

Postby Angela Cong 3C » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you for your explanations in chem that make the material more understandable. I never thought it would be a subject that I would understand and your jokes are pretty funny! I look forward to next quarter with you in chem 14b :) Happy holidays

Kunseo Yook 2E

Postby Kunseo Yook 2E » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you for taking the time to put together so many different peer-learning and review sessions this quarter. They helped tremendously.

AhYeon_Kwon_2H

Postby AhYeon_Kwon_2H » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:16 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle:
Thank you so much for organizing multiple study sessions to help us out every single week. Chemistry hasn't been the chore I expected it to be, thanks to you! :)

Katie_Duong_1D

Postby Katie_Duong_1D » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Live Love Lavelle <3

Thanks for being the most caring and wholesome teacher! Your smile at the beginning of each class made my days. I always looked forward to your informative and interesting lectures. I really appreciate all the work that went into organizing many office hours, workshops, and 24/7 Chemistry Community. It shows your extreme dedication to your students.

Good chemistry happens in CS 50!

Simran Athwal-Dis 3A

Postby Simran Athwal-Dis 3A » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for being a supportive and caring professor. I enjoyed your lectures everyday because you made them interesting. I also appreciate how much time you put in to create study sessions for your students such as workshops, drop-in, step-up sessions, modules, etc. Thank you so much and hope you have a great winter break! :)

Luis_Yepez_1F

Postby Luis_Yepez_1F » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:39 am

As the quarter comes to a close, I want to thank Dr. Lavelle for providing a fun and interesting learning environment at all times throughout the quarter.

Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B

Postby Nawaphan Watanasirisuk 3B » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle! You explained each topic so well I was able to really understand the material logically and how they come together despite not having taken chemistry in high school. You certainly made Chemistry interesting, Thank you prof! :)

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Thank-You!

Many great comments!

Encourages me to keep going and assisting young minds!

Lynsea_Southwick_2K

Postby Lynsea_Southwick_2K » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Thank you for arranging so many sessions for us I greatly appreciate it.

Tony Ong 3K

Postby Tony Ong 3K » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello Professor Lavelle!
I appreciate your dad hat and your quirky humor. You bring light upon the clouded world of chemistry. I cannot wait to take 14B with you.
But for now, I must depart and I hope your winter break is brimming with chemistry among your family members and friends.

Miya Lopez 1I

Postby Miya Lopez 1I » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Valentine's Song for Dr. Lavelle - 2/11/2019

ips-D357FBBF-7982-4763-B872-B32942F794F7.mp4 [ 5.88 MiB | Viewed 118250 times ]

Beatrice Petelo 1F

Postby Beatrice Petelo 1F » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for your assistance and patience. It has been a pleasure to be your student for the past two quarters!

riddhiduggal

Postby riddhiduggal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:41 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle, for your countless resources for help, and your enthusiastic attitude in lecture.

He whose name cannot be spoken

Postby He whose name cannot be spoken » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:50 pm

This quarter has been a lot richer than I thought it would be learning wise.
Chemistry has always been my weakestr science subject, so the gentle but no-nonsense approach in this class worked wonders for me.

Thank you so much.

Priscilla Okaiteye

Postby Priscilla Okaiteye » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for a great quarter. I honestly don't know how far I could have gotten without that UA session. You are one of the very few professors that actually care how students do in the class and what they understand. I learned a great deal from you and hope continue to come up with great ways to teach your students.

Ryan Danis 1J

Postby Ryan Danis 1J » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle, Thankyou for being such a great professor who truly cares about his students. I appreciate the time and effort put into the vast resources available. I learned so much chemistry in a short amount of time and feel excited going into the rest of the chem series.

Thankyou, Ryan Danis

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Thank you all your thoughtful and encouraging messages.

Posting that video was great!

A Big Thank You for the Valentine Cappella.
A first and most appreciated.

Great Quarter!
Great Classes!

Danielle Hoekstra 1C

Postby Danielle Hoekstra 1C » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Just wanted to say thank you for all of your resources both online and in-person learning sessions. I really enjoyed this class!

Thanks!

Kassidy Tran 1E

Postby Kassidy Tran 1E » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for all the resources you provide us with to help us pass the class and all the care and concern you show for your students' learning! Your passion for teaching truly inspires me as a student to work hard and succeed.

AhYeon_Kwon_2H

Postby AhYeon_Kwon_2H » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for a great two quarters!

Ashish Verma 2I

Postby Ashish Verma 2I » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 am

Dr. Lavelle,
I've been a freshman student in both your 14A and 14B class this year and I just wanted to say thank you so much for going above and beyond with the amount of effort you've poured into all of us making sure that we always have more resources than we could ever ask for and always seeming so approachable for anything at all. Your classes really facilitated my transition into UCLA at a time in my life where I was going through some rough illness related issues so I thank you for that greatly and am extremely grateful to have taken your class both quarters. Thank you so much for everything!

Claudia Luong 4K

Postby Claudia Luong 4K » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:59 am

Thank you Dr. Lavelle! I was glad to be able to have Dr. Lavelle as a professor for both Chem 14A and 14B. All of the review sessions and lectures were helpful and I enjoyed this class a lot!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:07 pm

You are most welcome.

Time to rest up and prepare for your next final.

Anita Wong 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Anita Wong 1H » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for being so kind and very interested in what you're teaching! it makes learning more engaging! I am glad to have had you as a professor for 2 quarters!

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”