How to know the state of the molecules  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Katarina Ho -1B

How to know the state of the molecules

Postby Katarina Ho -1B » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Do we need to know the states of the compounds in a balanced chemical equation? and if so how do you know the states?

For ex: CuSO4(aq)

ElizabethP1L

Re: How to know the state of the molecules

Postby ElizabethP1L » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Ideally, the problem will give you the states already. However, you don't NEED them to balance the equation. Take a look at HW problem H.1 under fundamentals for example! What's important in balancing chemical equations is the conservation of mass. As long as the same number of moles of H are present on the reactant and product side, you're good to go!

Here's a quick guide to possible states in the balanced reaction:

If there is a substance in water, that's a hint it's aqueous (aq)! If it's solid NaCl, liquid water, or oxygen gas being used, you would denote them as solid (s), liquid (l), and gas (g), respectively.

Hope this helped! :)

Haison Nguyen 1I

Postby Haison Nguyen 1I » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:28 pm

Usually the problems will give you the state of the molecules, but is not needed to actually solve the problem. (g) = gas, (s) = solid, (l) = liquid, and (aq) = aqueous

Steven Luong 1E

Re: How to know the state of the molecules  [ENDORSED]

Postby Steven Luong 1E » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 pm

For these types of problems, you do not really need to know the states as the problems will have provided them to you and you do not need them to balance equations. If there is a solute in water solvent, that means it is aqueous (aq). If it is a solid (table salt NaCl) it will be (s). If it is gas like o2, it will be (g) and if it is liquid like water it will be (l)

Nancy Nguyen 1K

Postby Nancy Nguyen 1K » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 pm

When given on exams, should we include the state of molecules in the final answer in order to avoid missing out on points, even if they are not necessary to know in order actually balance the equation?

Thanks

Kuldeep Gill 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kuldeep Gill 1H » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:33 pm

I would think you should if it is given to you but I'm not necessarily sure if failing to do so would cause you to lose points!

Alondra Juarez section 1E

Postby Alondra Juarez section 1E » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm

I am quite certain that we as students are not required to know the states of the molecules as most of the time they are given in the problem.

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”