Speed in vacuum

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Husnia Safi - 1K

Speed in vacuum

Postby Husnia Safi - 1K » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:44 pm

We were given the equation c= 3.00x10^8m.s^-1 for speed in vacuum. Can someone explain to me what this equation means and what it is for?

Marisol Sanchez - 1E

Re: Speed in vacuum

Postby Marisol Sanchez - 1E » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:03 am

That value is for the speed of light from what I wrote down during my notes. I do not remember him saying it was the speed in a vacuum or if it means the same thing but that might be my mistake. I believe it is a value he just gave to us and we might use it later on but I do remember it was one of the first things he said after he gave us the equation to find speed in general which was wavelength(lambda)*frequency = velocity/speed. Wavelength is in meters and frequency is in seconds which given the right input values for wavelength and frequency (I do not think he gave us these values) would give us 3.00*10^8 m/s for the speed of light.

Alma Flores 1D

Postby Alma Flores 1D » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 am

He did say 3.00x10^8 m/s is the speed in vacuum during Monday's lecture. By this I believe he means the speed of light in a vacuum, which is the constant 3.00x10^8 m/s., meaning the light is traveling through empty space where nothing else can travel through. If light is not traveling at c (constant), it is moving through a material.

Adam Yaptangco 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Adam Yaptangco 1D » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm

C is a constant that represents the speed of light in a vacuum. Light will constantly travel at this speed, but this is specifically for a vacuum. The speed of light can change through different mediums. An example of this would be the different speed of light traveling through water.

Return to “Properties of Light”