writing out conversions in one long line vs. steps

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

annie_finneran_1K

writing out conversions in one long line vs. steps

Postby annie_finneran_1K » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:09 pm

do people find it more helpful to write multiple conversions in one step or to break the problem up into multiple steps? I get confused with it and wanted to see what other people do/prefer/think is easiest and allows one to better understand the concept behind it. any help would be appreciated :)))

Nahelly Alfaro-2C

Re: writing out conversions in one long line vs. steps

Postby Nahelly Alfaro-2C » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm

I find more convenient to write the conversion in one long line because it is easier for me to see the conversion between the units. It's also easier for me to see the units that needed to be canceled.

AnnaYan_1l
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby AnnaYan_1l » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:11 am

I usually do what works for the problem/how comfortable I am with the concept. So, for the first few problems I might break everything up into steps so I understand what I'm doing, and then when I feel more comfortable with the problem, I might write everything out on one line. Whatever helps you understand the material is best, so I would just do what works for you...If you're struggling with one problem, maybe break it up into steps and see if that helps.

Jack Martinyan 1L

Postby Jack Martinyan 1L » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:30 pm

There is no right or wrong way, as long as you get to the same answer with the right units. It is totally up to preference. However, writing out the conversions in one lone line will make it easier to visualize the dimensional analysis as you cross out all your units to eventually arrive at your desired unit.

Myles Chang 1B

Postby Myles Chang 1B » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:58 pm

I prefer to write out the expression in one long line to make sure my units line up, however, I do my calculations individually because I want to make sure that each of them make sense.

Joanna Pham - 2D

Postby Joanna Pham - 2D » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:31 pm

It definitely depends on which method you prefer. I personally prefer writing them out in one line. It makes it easier for me to follow, and it's a great way to check if all my units cancel out. I would suggest you try solving practice problems using both ways then see which method you prefer.

Megan Phan 1K

Postby Megan Phan 1K » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Typically, I prefer to write it out in a long line just so I can see it all in one condensed space. However, it really is up to your own preference, and doesn't matter as long as you personally understand the material.

Chiara Berruto 1K

Postby Chiara Berruto 1K » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:17 pm

I would recommend writing it out in a chain that way it is easy to see what units are being cancelled out. This is also easy because it allows you to start with the given and work until you reach the desired units and you know you have come to your answer.

Namie Fotion-1E

Postby Namie Fotion-1E » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:55 pm

I do my conversions using dimensional analysis, which I believe is the way most people were taught, so I find it most helpful to do all my conversions in a long line so I can continually cancel out my units until I end up with an answer in the units I wanted.

Jessica Lancisi - 1I

Postby Jessica Lancisi - 1I » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:29 pm

In addition to being able to see what cancels easiest, the chances of missing something or leaving something out when you do this horizontally are much lower than if you start each step on a new vertical line! this will minimize accidental mistakes

Isabella Barkett 1G

Postby Isabella Barkett 1G » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:53 pm

I find it easier to break the problem in multiple steps as it reduces any room for error and makes it easier to understand the question.

Heung Ching Chia 1E

Postby Heung Ching Chia 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 pm

If you're talking about unit conversions within the same step, I would write it out in one long line to make sure I know which units are cancelling with which. However, if there are different separate steps required for the problem, I would write it out in steps to present my work more clearly during exams.

yazminedesan1F

Postby yazminedesan1F » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm

If you do it the longer way, you're able to see the units and therefore can easily figure out what units you'll want in the end.

Jennifer Tuell 1B

Postby Jennifer Tuell 1B » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 pm

I was taught to do it in one long line but it is important to write out what chemicals you are using when converting mass and moles. This is a great technique was trying to cancel things out

Nimrat Brar 1E

Postby Nimrat Brar 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I have always found it easier to writing out conversions in one long line because it is more straight forward in regards to being able to find everything you must cancel in order to get to your final answer. And this way, you do not have to refer back to the previous step as it should essentially be one long step. Hope this helps!

Odalys Cuevas 1C

Postby Odalys Cuevas 1C » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm

I usually find doing them in one long line more helpful because you can cancel easier and also if you seem to have made a mistake you can catch it quicker since it is all in one line. Its just quicker and more helpful during timed exams.

fara valdez

Postby fara valdez » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 pm

In high school, my chem teacher demonstrated the conversions in more of a chart form, it is easier to keep track of because it appears to be more organized and neat.

Return to “SI Units, Unit Conversions”