Suggestions for Balancing Reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

juliaschreib1A

Suggestions for Balancing Reactions

Postby juliaschreib1A » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:49 pm

When I get stuck on balancing equations does anyone have any tips?

Alejandro Salazar 1D

Re: Suggestions for Balancing Reactions

Postby Alejandro Salazar 1D » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:02 pm

There's a similar post already under "How to balance"

A technique for more complex equations. Balance compounds that appear once. Often, it is required to use fractions and then multiply the entire equation by the denominator of the function to cancel out the fraction

Ziana Bhanji 1E

Postby Ziana Bhanji 1E » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm

In addition, these tips might also help:

1. Start by counting and making note of all of the elements present on each side of the equation.

2. Count the number of molecules of each element on both sides of the equation before starting to balance them.

3. Look for atoms that make up a group or family (e.g sulphate, phosphate or ammonium). These will go throughout the chemical reaction the same. Treat them as an indivisible team. They should be balanced as a whole unit.

Madison Hacker 1L

Postby Madison Hacker 1L » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:52 pm

What I usually do is pick an element that I can easily balance on each side. Then, I draw an arrow under the element with the number of moles of each element, and often check each one to make sure there is the same amount on each side. Another tip is to always do Oxygen (if it is in the equation) last!

Elijah E 1C

Postby Elijah E 1C » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 pm

I like to write out the amount of each element on each side of the equation to avoid simple memory mistakes. This is also helpful when balancing the equation itself because you can constantly refer back to it and make sure you are making correct calculations.

Mohamad Farhat 1L

Postby Mohamad Farhat 1L » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 pm

For me the best way to balance equations is writing each element on the side and counting it. Take one step at a time looking at the one which looks the simplest.
To make sure that the equations balanced I just count each element again to reassure.

Megan Phan 1K

Postby Megan Phan 1K » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 pm

I like to record out the amount for each element on each side, it makes it more clear to me and helps with memory. It is a good way to refer back to proper numbers and assure you're on the right track for calculations.

JulietOttenberg-1C

Postby JulietOttenberg-1C » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 pm

I usually balance the atoms that are solo last because it makes it a little simpler. For example, in combustion reactions, it's usually easiest to balance every other atom before the oxygen molecules because they're alone so you don't have to keep changing all the numbers.

AlyssaRivera

Postby AlyssaRivera » Sun May 13, 2018 5:51 pm

A trick I tend to do somewhere on the side of my paper for extra help is creating a t-chart & tallying the amount of moles of each element I have for each side. It's a nice, visual way to make sure you're balanced!

Return to “Balancing Chemical Reactions”