Wave particle duality

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jimmy lira-1G

Wave particle duality

Postby Jimmy lira-1G » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 pm

If there are waves in constructive or destructive interference is there a limit to the amount of waves that can be joined together? Can there be more than 2 waves joined for these interferences to occur, if so do the wavelengths create like a mean wavelength overall, not speaking about amplitude, but wavelength?
-Jimmy Lira 1-G

danielruiz1G

Re: Wave particle duality

Postby danielruiz1G » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 pm

in wavelength duality, the wavelength itself is not changed by interference only the amplitude is.

MariahClark 2F

Postby MariahClark 2F » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 pm

From all the sources that I looked up, because I thought your question was interesting, I think constructive and destructive interference only happens between two waves because you only add or subtract the amplitudes of two waves. I never saw anyone talk about how to do that with more than two waves combining.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 404 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:47 pm

The reason why constructive and destructive interference occurs is that the two waves either amplify to double the signal because they are perfectly in phase or cancel to 0 because they are perfectly out of phase such that they add to 0. So, when you have 2 waves that is neither the case as you are referring to, then you just have the sum of the two waves. It's just the addition of the waveforms really and the form it looks will just depend on the amplitude and the phase of the waves you are adding.

Return to “Properties of Light”