Lyman and Balmer Series

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

YeseniaGomez_1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Lyman and Balmer Series

Postby YeseniaGomez_1L » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:55 pm

The Lyman and Balmer series were very briefly mentioned in lecture, I did not understand what each meant. All I was able to get was that the Lymer series somehow has to do with UV and the Balmer with inferred light. Does anyone remember what these terms mean?

Celeste Martinez 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Lyman and Balmer Series

Postby Celeste Martinez 1K » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm

I have the same question. Also, is there anyone that can explain problem 1.11 which asks "what is common to the lines within a series that makes grouping them together logical?"

Cindy Nguyen 1L

Postby Cindy Nguyen 1L » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 pm

If I understand correctly, the names of each series refers to the range that the electron moves from energy to energy level. So for example, when an electron transitions from n=2 to n=1, that is called the Lyman Series. The Balmer series represents the drop from higher energy levels to n=2. These different ranges are called different names/series. It's basically the arrows that Dr. Lavelle drew when he drew the energy levels and talked about electrons moving from different energy levels.

Patience Olsen 1A

Postby Patience Olsen 1A » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:37 pm

To add on to previous answers, the Lyman series represents the highest energy series (UV), with enough energy to reduce electrons to the lowest energy level n=1. The Balmer series represents the second highest energy series (visible light), with enough energy to reduce electrons to the energy level n=1.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”