n, l, ml (relates to 2.19)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Maya Khoury

n, l, ml (relates to 2.19)

Postby Maya Khoury » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:12 pm

So I understand that n is related to the size and energy of the orbital, l is related to the orbital's shape, and ml is related to its orientation in space, but how are they related? Like how would I have information on one of these quantum numbers and know the other quantum number values?

Like take the homework #2.19 for example. Could someone explain that problem for me? Thank you so much !!

SammiOrsini_1B

Re: n, l, ml (relates to 2.19)

Postby SammiOrsini_1B » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:47 pm

From what i have gathered, atoms with the same value of n have the same energy and belong to a certain shell. The shell can be broken down into subshells which are groups of orbitals that have the sane value of l. l=0,1,2,...,n-1. So if the shell number is n=3, then the shell has subshells of 0,1,3-1, so 0,1,2. ml then distinguishes the individual orbitals within a subshell where ml=l,l-1,...,-1.

ramayyala1G

Re: n, l, ml (relates to 2.19)

Postby ramayyala1G » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:40 pm

They are also related because each quantum number is related to each other through the equation for determining each level. For example, lets look at the l quantum number. if l=2, then we know n=3 because l=0,1,..n-1, meaning that n-1=2 meaning that n=3. This type of relationship is how mathematically each quantum number relies on each other. Another example would be the ml quantum number which is derived by ml=l,l-1,...-l. See how this quantum number relies on l to get its own values. Essentially, the l quantum number ends up becoming very key value throughout all of the levels.

Return to “Wave Functions and s-, p-, d-, f- Orbitals”