Anion electron configuration

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Fiona Grant 1I

Anion electron configuration

Postby Fiona Grant 1I » Sat May 05, 2018 2:35 pm

In lecture, we were told that the rule for electron configurations of anions is to add electrons until the next noble gas configuration. I'm kind of confused about how this was explained, because it seemed it seemed like it was different from the cation electron configuration rule. Are we always going to end up at a noble gas, and is this the same case for a cation?

Natalie Noble 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Anion electron configuration

Postby Natalie Noble 1G » Sat May 05, 2018 2:37 pm

The ions are trying to get to the most stable form, which is an octet, which is a noble gas. So the anions (negatively charged ions) and the cations (positively charged ions) are both trying to get to the nearest noble gas to form an octet and have stable electron configuration.

For cations, electrons need to be lost to get to the closest noble gas so Na has 1 electron in its outermost shell, so it loses 1 electrons (becoming Na 1+) to have an octet like Neon

In the opposite sense, anions, need to gain electrons to get to the closest noble gas so Cl has 7 electrons in its outermost shell, so it will want to gain another (Cl 1-) to have an octet like Argon

Alexandra Wade 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Anion electron configuration

Postby Alexandra Wade 1L » Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 pm

In addition, cations and anions are most likely not going to lose or gain electrons to a point past the nearest noble gas due to the instability.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”