2.67 part C (electron affinity)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

FizaBaloch1J

2.67 part C (electron affinity)

Postby FizaBaloch1J » Sat May 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Which element of each of the following pairs has the higher electron affinity: (a) oxygen or fluorine; (b) nitrogen or carbon; (c) chlorine or bromine; (d) lithium or sodium?

Are the trends for electron affinity the same as ionization energy? Decreases down a group, increases across a period (from left to right)?

So for part b) if Nitrogen is to the right of Carbon wouldn't that have a higher electron affinity? but the answer says carbon has a higher electron affinity.

Help please. I don't get this!

Emma Leshan 1B

Re: 2.67 part C (electron affinity)

Postby Emma Leshan 1B » Sat May 05, 2018 9:23 pm

I was wondering this too, so I looked it up. Apparently, a half-filled p subshell is more stable than one with only 2 electrons, so this is why carbon has a higher electron affinity than nitrogen.

AshleyLamba1H

Postby AshleyLamba1H » Sun May 06, 2018 5:10 pm

I am confused about this too, does anyone know which page in the textbook electron affinity is addressed? I can't seem to find it

Harmonie Ahuna-1C

Postby Harmonie Ahuna-1C » Sun May 06, 2018 7:18 pm

I was also confused about this problem but electron affinity is discussed in section 2.11 on pages 56-57. Though the general trend is that electron affinities are highest toward the right of the periodic table, figure 2.28 indicates that nitrogen is relatively more stable than carbon. It shows the electron affinity of nitrogen is actually negative, making it less than carbon's which is positive. Also, as was previously mentioned a half filled p subshell is more stable which is why carbon is more likely to gain an electron.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”