Cell Diagram Orders

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aarthi_Lakshmi_2A

Cell Diagram Orders

Postby Aarthi_Lakshmi_2A » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 pm

I know that for cell diagrams, the elements from the anode are on the left and the elements from the cathode are on the right. But amongst those anode and cathode sections, what is the order? Are the reactants on the left and the products on the right? I saw examples in the text book that indicated otherwise. And how do you know if an inert conductor is on both sides of the cell diagram or just one side?

Priscilla_Molina_3J

Re: Cell Diagram Orders

Postby Priscilla_Molina_3J » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:52 pm

I know that for cell diagrams, the elements from the anode are on the left and the elements from the cathode are on the right. But amongst those anode and cathode sections, what is the order? Are the reactants on the left and the products on the right? I saw examples in the text book that indicated otherwise. And how do you know if an inert conductor is on both sides of the cell diagram or just one side?

If I am not wrong, for a cell diagram in the anode section, you need to write first the inert conductor and then not simply just the reactant to product but rather the element before it was oxidized and then the element after it was oxidized. Same thing for the cathode side. You first write the element before it was reduced and then write the element after it was reduced. For the inert conductor, you have to see if any of the reactions involve a metal solid because this typically means that that is the inert conductor. It is when this is not present that you add an inert conductor to either side.

Return to “Galvanic/Voltaic Cells, Calculating Standard Cell Potentials, Cell Diagrams”