Series Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

jessicasam
Been upvoted: 1 time

Series Question

Postby jessicasam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Can someone explain to me exactly what a series is. I know that they are called Lyman, Balmer, etc but I don't understand how they are categorized into different series. Thanks!

Isabella Barkett 1G

Re: Series Question

Postby Isabella Barkett 1G » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:58 pm

We looked at the Hydrogen spectral series which accounts for the transition of electrons between different energy levels in an atom. The hydrogen spectrum consists of a series of lines of different colours (violet, blue, green and red) in the visible region of the spectrum. The Lyman series corresponds to transitions between higher shells and the lowest shell (ground state n=1), whilst the Balmer Series corresponds to transitions between higher shells down to the n=2 energy level.

KristinaNguyen_1A

Postby KristinaNguyen_1A » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

In discussion it was mentioned that Lyman series is used whenever it asks for UV light (it starts off with n=1), while Balmer series is for visible light (it starts with n=2).

Komal Prakash 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Komal Prakash 1H » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Basically what characterizes one series from the other is which energy level the electrons fall to. In the Lyman series, which is the UV spectrum, electrons fall from other, higher energy levels to n=1, while in the Balmer series, visible light, electrons fall to n=2 and no lower (and so on).

Return to “Properties of Light”