Chem Mod Limiting Reactants

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kathryn Wilhem 1I

Chem Mod Limiting Reactants

Postby Kathryn Wilhem 1I » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:49 pm

I did the module for limiting reactants, and I kept getting confused on problems 30, 32, and 33. These were the problems with the formula 2A + 1B --> 3C.
For 30, the question is If you have 1 mole A and 1 mole B, which is the limiting reactant? Wouldn't B be the limiting reactant because there are less moles, or is it neither?
For 32 and 33, 1 mol B reacts with 2 mol A, but only 1 mole A is present.
For 32, the question is which reactant is in excess? Wouldn't A be in excess because there is 1 mole of A and .5 moles of B?
For 33, the question is what is the maximum amount of product that can be produced? I can not find how to get the maximum moles of C produced. Could someone please explain this?
Last edited by Kathryn Wilhem 1I on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 714 times

Re: Chem Mod Limiting Reactants

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Please post the entire question or questions.

From my class website:

"Questions must be clearly worded and written out in full. Questions such as “Please explain HW 2.7” or “I don’t understand Winter 2010 midterm Q2” will not be answered. Both Q&A should be understandable without having to refer to other materials. This makes the Q&A much more usable for students as they do not have to keep referring to other materials to understand the Q&A."

Elena Saab 4A

Re: Chem Mod Limiting Reactants

Postby Elena Saab 4A » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 pm

For Q30, A would be the limiting reactant because for every 1 mole of B being used, 2 moles of A are required.
For Q32, B would be in excess because all of A cannot use up all of B (because it is limiting).
I am also lost on question 33, sorry!

Return to “Limiting Reactant Calculations”