Examples of intermolecular forces

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Examples of intermolecular forces

Postby 104904344 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 pm

What are some examples of dispersion forces, van der Waals, and hydrogen bonding in nature? Will we need to know these types of examples?

Tyler Vu 4I

Re: Examples of intermolecular forces

Postby Tyler Vu 4I » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 am

An example of dispersion forces is the non polar carbon dioxide molecule. Dispersion forces are considered Van der Waals forces, which occur between molecules. Hydrogen bonding can be observed between water molecules or N,O,or F bonds with hydrogen. These are important to know because they help us better understand the interactions and their relative strengths.

ariana_apopei1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Examples of intermolecular forces

Postby ariana_apopei1K » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:07 am

Overall dispersion/van der waal forces occur among all molecules, but they're weak and only happen by chance. Hydrogen bonds are much stronger although more specific in nature. I don't think we'll need to memorize any particular example (although H2O is an easy one to remember for hydrogen bonds) but we should know how to recognize what kind of forces are at play when given a certain molecule. Also, in a workshop I saw a question that asks if a molecule can form hydrogen bonds with itself that was trickier than usual, so be careful!

Return to “Interionic and Intermolecular Forces (Ion-Ion, Ion-Dipole, Dipole-Dipole, Dipole-Induced Dipole, Dispersion/Induced Dipole-Induced Dipole/London Forces, Hydrogen Bonding)”