Redox reaction

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Redox reaction

Postby 505166714 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:51 pm

I couldn't find links to discussion about Redox reactions, so here I am, posting a redox reaction question under the general science board.
Can someone help me out with the question shown in the picture, what is the relationship between losing and gaining electrons with losing and gain H+ (H atom)?
Attachments
question1.PNG

Ashley Zhu 1A

Re: Redox reaction

Postby Ashley Zhu 1A » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:00 am

Gaining an H atom does not mean gaining an H+ ion since an H atom still has an e-; this is an important distinction to make because when that new H atom is gained, its one e- will spend more time around the central atom it bonded to because it is more electronegative, and thus, that central atom is said to be reduced (reduction is gain of e-)

by the same token, gaining an H+ ion will not reduce (or oxidize for that matter) the molecule since there has been no change in the number of electrons

Return to “General Science Questions”