Term Differences (Heat, Enthalpy, Temperature, and Work)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Fontanilla 1I

Term Differences (Heat, Enthalpy, Temperature, and Work)

Postby Isabelle Fontanilla 1I » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Can someone define heat, enthalpy, temperature, and work?

Sara Lakamsani 4D

Re: Term Differences (Heat, Enthalpy, Temperature, and Work)

Postby Sara Lakamsani 4D » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:27 pm

Heat is actually kind of difficult to define but I think the best way I've heard it described is the energy that is exchanged between a system and it's surroundings due to a difference in pressure. Temperature is just a scale we use to measure the intensity of heat which is why we often use degrees to measure it (different degrees of intensity). The change in enthalpy of a system show the exchange of energy between a system and its surrounding that is not due to mechanical work. The energy exchanged is usually heat, but heat only equals the change in enthalpy when temperature and pressure are constant. Work is force exerted over a distance. Hope this is helpful.

Joon Chang 2F

Postby Joon Chang 2F » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Heat is the transfer of energy as a result of a temperature difference. Enthalpy is the amount of heat released or absorbed at constant pressure. Temperature is a measure of the average heat or thermal energy of the molecules in a substance. Work is the process of achieving motion against an opposing force.

Sara Lakamsani 4D

Postby Sara Lakamsani 4D » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Hope this helped you understand the concepts better!

Jacqueline Duong 1H

Postby Jacqueline Duong 1H » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 am

Heat is the transfer of energy due to a difference in temperature. Enthalpy is the heat absorbed or released from a system under constant pressure, where it is affected by factors such as the state of the reactants and products. Temperature is a measure of heat, where temperature can be used to indicate energy flow. Work is the energy required to move an object against a force.

Return to “Reaction Enthalpies (e.g., Using Hess’s Law, Bond Enthalpies, Standard Enthalpies of Formation)”