Syllabus

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melissa Solis 1H

Syllabus

Postby Melissa Solis 1H » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:42 am

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else has been confused by the class syllabus? Just want to make sure I'm not the only one.

Lea Baskin Monk 1F
Been upvoted: 4 times

Re: Syllabus

Postby Lea Baskin Monk 1F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:51 am

I feel like I have a good grasp of the syllabus. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it and I may be able to help :)

Eunice_Castro_1G

Postby Eunice_Castro_1G » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi! If you need any sort of clarification I can help!

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:29 pm

What are you confused about?

Melissa Solis 1H

Postby Melissa Solis 1H » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:38 pm

I just feel like it's not clear enough. Like there's no explicit timeline like other syllabi that I usually see for other classes. For instance, I feel like the readings aren't as specified as they can be.

Nadya Higgins 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:46 pm

I think the reason it doesn't necessarily have a specific timeline is because this class is very self-study focused, meaning all the readings are optional (but HIGHLY recommended) and there is no time you have to specifically get them done by. It's also up to you as the student to decide when to watch the lectures, do the readings, or attend discussions. However, the readings and practice problems we should be doing are separated by the main idea/topic of the lessons (The Quantum World, Chemical Bonds, etc), so I would say once you know you've started to cover the specific topics in class, you should start to look over those readings and questions. Other than that, just pay attention to due dates of homework, chem community posts, and just self-study whenever you can.

Melissa Solis 1H

Postby Melissa Solis 1H » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Nadya Higgins 1C wrote:I think the reason it doesn't necessarily have a specific timeline is because this class is very self-study focused, meaning all the readings are optional (but HIGHLY recommended) and there is no time you have to specifically get them done by. It's also up to you as the student to decide when to watch the lectures, do the readings, or attend discussions. However, the readings and practice problems we should be doing are separated by the main idea/topic of the lessons (The Quantum World, Chemical Bonds, etc), so I would say once you know you've started to cover the specific topics in class, you should start to look over those readings and questions. Other than that, just pay attention to due dates of homework, chem community posts, and just self-study whenever you can.

Thank you Nadya! That's what I've been trying to do, I just wanted to see if I was the only one and I clearly am yikes.

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:07 pm

Thank you Nadya! That's what I've been trying to do, I just wanted to see if I was the only one and I clearly am yikes.[/quote]

No problem! And also, no worries!! I felt lost with the syllabus at first too, but I guess I just kind of accepted that it's more of a loose guide than an actual manual per-say. I just reference it for the problems and to know what stuff I should start focusing on, but other than that, unfortunately we just have to figure out how to swim in the deep end now and take our learning into our own hands haha.

Nadya Higgins 3F

Postby Nadya Higgins 3F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:09 pm

Melissa Solis 3D wrote:Thank you Nadya! That's what I've been trying to do, I just wanted to see if I was the only one and I clearly am yikes.

No problem! And also, no worries!! I felt lost with the syllabus at first too, but I guess I just kind of accepted that it's more of a loose guide than an actual manual per-say. I just reference it for the problems and to know what stuff I should start focusing on, but other than that, unfortunately we just have to figure out how to swim in the deep end now and take our learning into our own hands haha.

Evonne Hsu 1J

Postby Evonne Hsu 1J » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:11 pm

The syllabus includes course topics and grade distributions.

Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F

Postby Orla Lynagh-Shannon 1F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:08 pm

On I believe the front page of the chem 14A website there are a few other links to pdfs posted that have info about test dates and other more specific info on each pdf, which add to the syllabus and I found helped me understand all the logistics.

James Patanian 2C

Postby James Patanian 2C » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Yeah I had trouble navigating and figuring out logistics too but his class website gives some clarity to stuff that’s confusing. Also, the link to the pdf is with UA sessions is on the class website.

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”